16 yrs, 3 mths ago

Vitamins…Cheaper v’s Pricey

What is the difference…..Isn’t iron-iron, zinc-zinc, vitamin C-vitamin C? Is there really any difference in the product other than the price?

15 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 12 yrs, 1 mth ago

With vitamins and supplements you get what you pay for.

Study the labels carefully and compare the IU (international units) of active ingredients in each capsule/tablet – this can vary significantly.

Another thing to consider is the quality of ingredients – a good example is calcium carbonate (i.e. chalk) which is a cheap calcium to source but it doesn`t absorb well in our bodies whereas calcium citrate is superior in bioavailability and is easily absorbed into bones.

I like Swisse and Blackmores for quality and purity of ingredients at a reasonable price.

• 12 yrs, 2 mths ago

I am wondering if liquid multivitamins are better that tablets or capsules?

I prefer liquid fish oil, because you don`t get anywhere near as much fishy-after taste. (I used to suddenly get an explosion of it as the capsule burst on it`s way to my stomach) I think it is just a matter of preference though, as long as you are taking the vitamins when you eat you will be absorbing as much goodness as possible.

• 12 yrs, 2 mths ago

I`m not too sure if this applies to all vitamins and minerals, but it has been found that Glucosamine quality/strength can vary significantly between brands, even if they are all supposed to be say the 1500+. I guess the only thing you can really do is research.

• Bronze
    12 yrs, 2 mths ago

Oh.. There is much difference among vitamins when you look at the quantity of active ingredients and price. Some brands have really good prices but when you look at the ingredients doesn`t worth it. The more active ingredients the product has the better it is. I`m currently taking Lenkei vitamins with great results, other good brands like Blackmores also have good multi vitamin tablets.
    Try to compare a few different products, you find a range of discount vitamins in health food stores and online.

• 12 yrs, 10 mths ago

I am wondering if liquid multivitamins are better that tablets or capsules?

• 15 yrs, 11 mths ago

yes they are good, if u dont eat much meat iron is great and omega 3 fish oil tabs are gross but good for u

• 15 yrs, 12 mths ago

iv been feeling a bit off lately due to lack of sleep and stress and not eating right, do you think i should take a multivitamin maybe?

• 16 yrs ago

Remember the pan pharmaceutical vitamin recall about 5 years ago. Most vitamin companies were in big trouble with inferior ingredients and even some were found to contain factory floor sweepings in their capsules. The only brand that is 100% safe due to their high standards of superior ingredients is Blackmores. However just be a good consumer and do your homework comparing brands, e.g if you were to take vit. e you would need 3 times as many capsules of normal vitamin e to equal 1 capsules of natural vitamin e because of its purity.

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Some forms/origins of certain vitamins can be absorbed by the body either well or poorly. That can be a difference. Plus things like fish oil supplements have different standards in their `toxicity` of heavy metals. Some brands monitor the purity.

• 16 yrs, 2 mths ago

Still waiting for results….Im thinking it will take a month or two to really notice any difference….will keep you posted.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.