16 yrs, 3 mths ago

Calling all brides

Hi all,
I’m putting together a story on wedding day beauty and would love to hear from brides to be and those of you with down-the-aisle experience.
What are/were your biggest hair and make-up challenges? Wives, what do you know now that you wish you’d known then? Did you have a wedding day beauty blunder or do you still look back through your wedding album and know you were a knockout?

Thanks lovelies! Tracey x

15 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

I too had a wedding on a budget and i got my regular hairdresser and a friend who worked on the comestic counter at the local pharmacy do our makeup. I had a really cruisey morning as both came to the house so there was no travel time. Also she just used the foundations that we normally used so there was no concerns about it not matching.

A really good piece of advice was that the afternoon before my husband to be dropped me off in the afternoon for a massage and my bridesmaids and photographer picked me up when iwas done. We then went to the supermarket and got a load of food and snacks and then got a couple of DVD`s and the foot spas. So the night before i was completely relaxed and the next day i got to eat all day and wasn`t starving by the time the wedding dinner came around.

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Thats a good way to save money get someone you know to do your make up

• 16 yrs, 2 mths ago

My cousin also had trouble with her hair

• 16 yrs, 2 mths ago

Hi Tracey, how is the story coming along? just prying, no I mean curious, I am looking forward to reading it. lol 🙂

• 16 yrs, 2 mths ago

Make up was probably my biggest challenge with my first wedding. I went to several beauty counters for a trial – so many of those girls really can`t apply make up!! Ended getting my sisters friend to do it and wasnt all that pleased. My hair was great, as I used my regular hairdresser at the time who new my hair so well. Anyway, that all ended in divorce, so chucked out the expensive photos anyway ha ha!! Am now getting married for the second time, older and wiser. We are getting married in July. We recently got some professional family photos done, and the photographer did my hair and make up, he was amazing, the best ever – so I will be getting him to do my hair and make up this time around. We are not having professional photos at the wedding though, I like our more casual family shots a lot better.

• 16 yrs, 3 mths ago

Well I`ve been married two years now and remember it like it was yesterday. It took 1 year to plan and I loved every second of it.

First advice “”brides to be”” please don`t turn into a bridezilla! I took my wedding gown for alterations and 2 weeks before the wedding the lady called me in for my dress fitting and she had butchered my dress…ladies I had my cry and then remembered I was marrying the man of my dreams so I went and bought another dress which was just as beautiful.

Second: One month prior to the wedding I booked a consultation with my stylist for the types of hairstyles I thought would be nice. I`m not sure how the salons are here for consults but in Canada the stylist will actually do the whole updo so you know exactly what you`re going to get on your wedding day and its free.

Third: I booked my makeup cons 1 week prior to the wedding because I knew that my skin was a bit darker than usual from the hot weather.

Fourth: Ladies don`t cake on the makeup keep it natural and just enhance your looks. Use an illuminator on your brow bone and your cheekbones.

Most important beauty tip, I absolutely love lip gloss but my husband hates the goopy feeling on his lip and rather than kissing him and him having to wipe his lips everytime we kissed (which by the way doesn`t look good for a newly wed spouse to be kissing away his wifes` kisses) I applied long lasting lip color. Which was fantastic cause we kissed all day long.

• 16 yrs, 3 mths ago

we did the same. also my uncle and brother in law were hiding out in the gardens so we walked around and they would pop out and start snapping. we got the most natural photo`s which i love. we did some posed ones too but they are not my faves, the ones of us walking around talking and having fun are just beautiful.

• 16 yrs, 3 mths ago

we didn`t have professional photographers either and just had our own camera and had various people taking shots. We didn`t have a digital camera at the time and being overseas I was worried the film would get spoiled when going through customs. The photos fortunately turned out great.

• 16 yrs, 3 mths ago

We actually didn`t have a photographer – we just collected all the photos our friends took and my mum put together a beautiful album for us. As sharna wrote, finding a colour to suit everybody. One of my bridesmaids (whilst we were getting ready) brought me two lippies to look at (for her to wear) I just pointed at one and said `that`ll be nice` anyway time to leave and I look at her and her lippy is deep dark red (lovely mind you) but the rest of us had subtle pinks! So she stood out a bit in the photos. Oh and we made our own bouquets, my mum was wearing green rubber gardeners gloves (morning of the wedding) to put together our roses, she finished and took her hands out of the gloves and her gorgeous French manicure we`d had done earlier was now tinged federation green! She was close to tears but luckily it came off without ruining her mani! sorry one more thing, make sure you remember you backs in your wedding beauty routine, I came out of the shower and my sister said `look at your back!` and started scrubbing it like a mad woman – I hadn`t exfoliated it.

• 16 yrs, 3 mths ago

i am similar to glitter girl. our entire wedding including rings and honeymoon was $5000. I loved my hair and my make up although i should have done my make up myself as it was not quite perfect. My big tip to anyone is do not mention you are getting married. when you book the hair dresser, tell them you need your hair done, if they ask why tell them its a party. i did that and it cost me half the price. when i slipped it was for my wedding the hairdresser said ` oh i`ll have to re-quote you. i`ll just get the wedding price list` she pulled out another price list said the price and i told her to put the book away as she had already quoted me. they did it for the cheaper price and did a beautiful job so i still go there 7 years later.
    it was also 38 deg the day i got married and the lady who did my make up for me (who was a friend) used a foundation that was just a bit heavy so i felt like it was sliding off my face. looking at the pictures though you would never know and i am with BO, i think i look awesome. so the heavier makeup was worth it i suppose for the photo memories

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.