16 yrs, 5 mths ago

Applying Fake Tan

When applying your fake tan wear plastic gloves, the sheer ones like doctors and dentists use..your tan will be streak free and your hands will be stain free..this works a treat!! 😉

23 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 16 yrs ago

I used to do spray tans for a living, and we used barrier cream. Very good. Although since leaving I have found good old sorbolene just as good… a cheapie but a classic!

• 16 yrs ago

I don`t get orange hands because I use moisturiser with tan in it, for some reason it isn`t strong enough to give you really orange hands which is good.

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Yep – def apply moisturiser to feet, ankles, knees and elbows – otherwise you`re sure to get patchy around those areas! I used to moisturise all over before applying tan, but now I just moisturise those areas and put the fake tan on straight after a shower. I also find the gels the easiest to blend…

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Ok, thanks miakat – I`ll give it a go. =]
    xx

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

The reason tan clings to ankles, feet, elbows, knees etc is cos the skin is drier and “”grabs”” the colour. You can avoid this by moisturizing the area before you tan, this dilutes the tan so it goes on streak free and even.
    Also, if you do use gloves, use the smallest size you can squeeze your ands into. I have tried this with medium size and ended up losing all my tan in the folds of the gloves!! Made it heaps harder. I prefer to go glove-free, but you gotta do the moistrizing trick first to prevent orange palms, especially on cuticles, then wash well after!

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

omg! yes billywig93 that happens to me too! how annoying is it!!! i hate it coz you cant wear thongs or anything….i would love to know an effective solution to this………sometimes i exfoliate briefly on my feet where the tan has gone so the colour difference doesnt look as obvious.. anyone have any ideas???? xoxoxo

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

I usually apply to my legs, and its hard to apply to my feet because it just goes streaky and uneven… I end up looking like i`ve gone around wearing shoes and socks for the past few monthes :S Does anyone know how to prevent this?
    xx

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Great tip, thanks saramaree! I always forget to wash my hands after applying and end up with bright orange hands! errrr

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

I too use the plastic disposable gloves when applying fake tan. Some tanners I have used I can get away with just washing my hands thoroughly afterwards but my current fave (St Tropez Whipped Bronze Mousse) is tinted and stains hands really easily. Love the results of it though it is really natural looking and never orange. Also using gloves is great because if you are a bit of a fake tan addict like me, it stains your nails yellow like smokers nails and that wont come out until you cut your nails!!!
    What I do re tanning my hands is: Once I have applied fake tan to my whole body and face I take of my gloves and wash my hands (a girl can`t be too careful!!) and I put abit of fake tan on a cotton square and rub it over my hand and on the underside of my wrist. It works well as if you are careful you don`t get any on your fingers, and using the cotton square ensures not too much tan ends up on your hands!!

• Bronze
    16 yrs, 1 mth ago

great advice

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.