How-to: Emma Watson's retro makeup look
Emma Watson has come a long way since her Hermione Granger days. The once-frizzy haired, fresh-faced tween has grown into a beautiful young woman who certainly knows a thing or two about fashion and beauty (which is why it was a no-brainer for Lancôme to pick her as their spokeswoman. Seriously, bravo Lancôme).
Anyway, back to Emma’s hair and make-up choices. They’re fabulous, and this 1940s-inspired make-up had me a little taken aback (in a good way, of course). It’s a strong look that’s still sexy and super-feminine. And even better, it’s totally achievable. We’ve put together our own simple steps for you to follow so you’ll have the fellas fawning at your feet:
1. As always, start with a primer to create the perfect canvas for your make-up application. A good primer will also help your foundation stay put. This look calls for a matte finish, so if your skin is a little on the oily side, use Models Prefer Mattifying Primer.
2. Next, apply a foundation that will give you sheer-to-medium coverage (see how Emma’s cute little freckles are peeping through?) and will leave a matte finish. Use glo minerals Protective Liquid Foundation – Matte Finish to give your skin smooth and even finish. Plus, the foundation is buildable, so you won’t be caught out if you prefer full-coverage foundation.
3. Apply a pink powder blush to your cheeks. Instead of applying the blush on to your apples, focus on just below the apples and a little to the left (so towards your ear, more in the centre of your cheek). Bloom Powder Blush in Hibiscus will help you achieve that flushed, just-run-up-some-stairs finish.
4. Taking a liquid liner like Lancôme Artliner, draw a line along your lid from the inner corner of your eye all the way to the outer corner. On the inner corner, start right on the lash line, but take the liner slightly up as you move across so that the it sits slightly above the lash line at the outer corner of your eye. Now fill in the empty space between the line and your lash line. Do absolutely nothing to your bottom lash line. Coat your top lashes two-to-three times and your bottom lashes just once with a thickening mascara. Couleur Caramel Mascara will help give your lashes that extra intensity and is gentle enough for those who wear contact lenses or have sensitive eyes.
5. Your lips will need a colour that is heavily pigmented but that also offers a bit of shine. Chi Chi Dramatic Lip Laquer in Hot Mamma is the perfect true-red shade that gives the intense colour (and staying power) of a lipstick and the shine of a gloss.
6. Finish off your look by brushing and filling in your brows. Prestige Cosmetics Classic Eye Brow Pencil will help in both departments. The lid features a handy little brow brush to groom your hairs into place, while the soft pencil will work wonders on filling in sparse areas.
|Seven of the best: skin-fixing foundations
||How Facebook helped a beauty queen lose 102kg||Top six: most-reviewed hair oils ever
||Five bad skin habits you never knew you had|