Rihanna showed that a bold red lip is the perfect way to jazz up a jumpsuit – we’re ignoring the Ace Ventura quiff – at the London premiere of Inglourious Basterds last week.
We spoke to Chechel Joson, International Make-up Artist for Max Factor, for a step-by-step initiation to scarlet fever…
1. Exfoliate and clean your lips well. (Bh recommends prepping lips with a primer first. Try: Mary Kay TimeWise® Age-Fighting Lip Primer.)
2. Line lips with Max Factor Gold Lip Liner in Raspberry. Start with your upper lip first and line from the corner of your upper lip following the natural lip line. Tip: it’s important to use a lip pencil, especially when using a red. The pigment will ‘hold’ onto the pencil, preventing it from bleeding. A liner also ensures the colour stays on longer.
3. Next, line your lower lip, starting from the inner corner and again, following your natural lip line.
4. After making an outline of your lips, fill it in with the same colour lip pencil.
5. Then choose your lipstick. Try Max Factor Colour Collections Lipstick in Flame Tree, Hint of Red or Chilli.
6. Apply the lipstick to your entire lip.
7. Relax your lips then lightly press a tissue to your lips. This will help deposit the colour into your lips.
8. Remove the tissue – your lips should leave a perfect mark.
9. Apply a second application to your lips.
10. You’re good to go!
Tip: make sure you don’t go overboard – the lip pencil or colour should go outside your natural lip line. Otherwise it’ll be a case of less WAG, more drag.
For Rihanna’s glossy red try: Bourjois Sweet Kiss in Rouge sur mesure with a coat of MAC Clear Lipglass over the top or Max Factor Lipfinity Colour and Gloss in Radiant Red. Bold and glossy – a winning combo every time.
What’s your favourite ruby hue?
Please all join me in wishing bh’s Olivia a happy 21st birthday today!
Image credit: justjared.buzznet.com.au