DIY date ready
So it’s the lead up to Valentine’s Day and you’ve got a hot date. Be it with your boyfriend, your current crush, or your also-single best friend, there’s no doubt you’ll want to look your best. Plan ahead and avoid any pre-date disasters with our guide to getting gorgeous.
Make-up made easy
The right date-worthy make-up style is crucial for your confidence and will definitely impact on how sexy you feel. We’re women and we’re complicated, so it’s no surprise that most of us want make-up that looks like we’ve made some effort, but at the same doesn’t look like we’ve spent hours in front of the mirror. Luckily for us that’s easily achievable – here’s how to do it:
1. Start with a beautiful base that’s lightweight but long lasting. We recommend L’Oreal Paris Roll’ On True Match Foundation – it’s the first ever roller foundation guaranteed to seamlessly apply just the right amount of product to leave your face smooth and flawless.
2. You can then create ‘come hither’ eyes by defining your top lash line with a black liquid eye liner and sweeping your fave shimmer shadow across your lid. We love Bobbi Brown’s Apricot or Rose Shimmer Brick Compacts as you can mix-and-match the shades in each palette to produce varying colour intensities to suit your mood. You can also dust it along your cheekbones for a subtle radiance.
3. Once your eye shadow is taken care of, curl your lashes with the Elite Eyelash Curler and slick them with some lengthening mascara such as Face of Australia Glamorous Lashes Mascara, to ensure your peepers really pop.
4. Next, blend a baby pink or soft peach cream blush into the apples of your cheeks (the creamy consistency will help produce a romantic dewy glow). We like Bloom Sheer Colour Cream.
5. To finish, prep your pout (the most important part!) with a quick exfoliation (use a soft toothbrush or wet cloth and some moisturiser and gently buff in circular motions) before applying an ultra-nourishing lip balm such as Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm. Just before your date arrives, pop on some lip tint for a sultry stain that won’t come off when he kisses you.
Hot hair now
Whether you opt for soft, flowing tresses or a cute up ‘do, it’s important that your locks don’t look too stiff and rigid (which guy would want to run their fingers through helmet-hard hair?). Your best bet is to create a slightly tousled ‘mussed-up’ style – think Jen Aniston’s hot ‘bed-head’ waves at the Golden Globes – which will look just as alluring should you choose to wear it up or down. Follow our step-by-step guide for your hottest hair yet:
1. Wash your locks with a volume boosting shampoo and conditioner for a head start on body building. We like Pantene Pro-V Sheer Volume Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Towel-dry your hair and wind it around some medium-sized rollers such as Lady Jayne Rollers – Self Hold, before blasting your head with a hairdryer.
3. Once dry, release the rollers and run your fingers through your locks to loosen your ringlets.
4. Next, pop a hazelnut-sized amount of texturizing paste such as Sebastian Professional Microweb Fiber, into your palm and rub your hands together before scrunching it through your strands for added volume, movement and texture. Finish with a light misting of shine spray.
It’s simple when it comes to seduction – smooth, supple skin is a total turn-on, hairy legs are not (sorry Mo’Nique, but your ‘expose’ at the Golden Globes was less than attractive). Don’t get caught out having to dry shave in a hurry while your date waits on the couch, be a savvy seductress and take care of your hair ahead of time. If waxing is your way, book your appointment a day or two before your date to give your potentially red, spotty skin time to settle. Alternatively you can use a depilatory cream with an in-built moisturiser, such as Veet Hair Removal Cream for Dry Skin, the night before to produce perfect-looking pins. If it happens that you’ve left things ‘til the last minute get fuzz-free ASAP with the Gillette Venus Vibrance – just remember to use a shaving cream or gel to avoid an unsightly shaving rash!
Keep in mind that it’s also a good idea to incorporate a body exfoliator into your shower regime in the lead-up to your hair removal to eradicate dead skin cells and minimise ingrown hairs.
Setting the scene
Whether you’ve organised a romantic night in or hope to bring your hot date home, bit of forward planning never goes astray. Nobody likes to kiss and canoodle amidst last night’s leftovers or dirty laundry, so before the date begins don’t forget to give your house a quick spring clean (yes, cheating by shoving everything in the closet until further notice is acceptable on this occasion). To ensure your abode smells fresh and inviting, spritz your place with a room spray such as Evodia Violet Body, Room & Linen Mist, and open a couple of windows to allow the air to circulate. Scented candles are also a great way to leave a sweet smell lingering and create a cosy, romantic atmosphere. Try Abahna Scented Candles.