If you’ve been feeling tired and sluggish lately and your hair and skin have seen better days, it could be time for a detox. Detox benefits are significant – from increased energy levels and better digestion to more radiant skin and clearer eyes, you’ll just love the results. Here’s how you can achieve them yourself…
1. Switch to brown foods – cut out refined starch from your diet. Refined starch appears most commonly in foods such as white bread, potato chips and white pasta. It is higher in sugar and therefore can have an energy-draining affect on the body. Instead swap white bread for brown, wholegrain bread and white pasta for wholemeal pasta. Brown, wholemeal foods have a lower Glycemic Index, which means they release energy slowly and steadily throughout the day, to keep you going strong.
2. Get raw – raw foods have powerful cleansing properties so try to incorporate them wherever possible in your diet. Snack on raw celery and capsicum sticks and eat a raw fruit salad for dessert. If you struggle to fit raw foods in, try juicing them into a sweet delicious morning drink you can have with your breakfast.
3. Help your liver do its job – our body cleanses through the liver and things such as alcohol and foods high in refined sugar and saturated fat can hamper the liver’s ability to function properly, so cut them out of your diet or reduce significantly.
4. Choose organic, natural foods – when you’re in the supermarket, be a more vigilant shopper. Read labels and look for foods that are free from additives and preservatives, which can build up in your system over time and hinder the body’s natural cleansing abilities. When you’re buying fresh, opt for fruit and veggies that are pesticide free by buying from the organic section. Having your own veggie patch and shopping at farmer’s markets is also a great way to ensure you’re eating organic.
5. Up your water intake – if you want to know how to detox effectively, the answer is – by drinking lots of water! Water helps flush toxins from the body so it’s one of the most important tools in a detox plan. Try to drink at least 8-10 glasses every day while you’re detoxing to help your body clear itself out, naturally.