Liven up your locks with these summery ‘dos
Craving a hair makeover? We feel you. Where better to turn to for inspiration than New York Fashion Week? From tousled waves to accoutrements and pretty plaits, these hairstyles will keep your tresses looking fresh and pretty all season...
TO THE STUDIO!
Diane Von Furstenberg S/S16 show at NYFW
This spring, pay homage to the 70s with big, disco curls and even bigger hair accessories in a look that hairstylist Orlando Pita has affectionately coined the ‘Diane’. Yep, we’re taking a step back in time and heading to Studio 54! Here’s how to recreate the look:
- For a more daring version of the classic barrel wave, create a deep side part and prep your hair with the TRESemmé Runway Collection Make Waves Shaping Gel and TRESemmé Runway Collection Make Waves Shine Enhancing Cream.
- Next, blow-dry your hair, and tong two-inch sections with the muk Curl Stick barrel tong. While the section is still hot, loop the hair around your middle index finger and pin it to your scalp. Tong, loop and pin all remaining sections of hair and allow to set.
- Once your pinned sections have cooled, unpin the loops and work out the waves with your hands. For true 70s volume, use a soft bristle brush (like the Moroccanoil Boar Bristle Paddle Brush) to lightly tease the front sections.
- Finish the look by tucking your hair behind one ear, and spritz some Redken Forceful 23 for flexible hold. Finally, adorn your waves with a hair accessory like the Ombrello Diamante Barrette or Soft Flower Clip.
LET'S DO THE TWIST
Public School S/S16 show at NYFW
We love a ponytail as much as the next girl, but it’s always refreshing to update the style. This look is a little bit bohemian, and a little bit refined, making it a summer staple. Aveda head hairstylist Allen Ruiz created this strong and beautiful rope braid, which isn’t as complicated as it looks! Here’s how to do it for yourself:
- Prep your hair with Aveda Pure Abundance Style-Prep for volume, and blow-dry with the Philips Pro Dryer.
- Pull your hair back into a ponytail just below the centre of your head, and secure with an elastic.
- Use a coin-sized amount of Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Nourishing Styling Creme to smooth over the pony from the base to the ends.
- Take a small section of hair from under the pony and wrap it around the base to hide the elastic. Secure with bobby pins.
- Next, divide the ponytail into two even sections. Begin to tightly twist both sections clockwise to the ends while simultaneously twisting the two sections together in a counterclockwise motion. Secure with an elastic.
- Tame flyaways by gently smoothing over the rope braid with Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Nourishing Styling Creme or Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Oil Miracle Divine Polish.
- To set, spray the style with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray or Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Finishing Spray. And voila!
GLOSS IS BOSS
Rebecca Vallance S/S16 show at NYFW
When it’s warm out and everyone’s smiling, it’s only fitting for your locks to look and feel healthy. Bring your hair to life with this contemporary take on the classic curl, courtesy of Joico’s Celebrity Stylist Paul Norton. He’s added luscious volume and radiant shine, without the bulk - and here’s how to copy him:
- Prep damp hair with the weightless Joico Heat Set, focusing on the roots to reduce frizz.
- Using the Shu Uemura Art of Hair Large Round Brush, blow-dry hair starting at the roots, and angle the nozzle downward so hair becomes smooth and flat at the crown. Follow through to the ends.
- Once your hair is dry, spritz a thermal protection spray, such as the Moroccanoil Heat Styling Protection, all over. Then, straighten the hair.
- Using the Luxcurly Lux Natural curling wand, create a one-inch section curl away from your face, starting midway down the length of your hair and avoiding the root area.
- Once your hair is curled, use the Lady Jayne Paddle Brush to brush through the curls to create glam, bouncy waves.
- Finish the look with Joico Hair Shake. Starting from the ends, work your way up the hair to add instant texture and volume, and lightly finger-comb the hair back
- Finally, tilt your head back and set the style with hairspray for added body and flexible hold.
THE BRAID-Y BUNCH
Who loves braids? We do, that’s who. It’s one of the easiest and most effective ways to shake up your hair, and with a whole slew of braidy-manes making their debut at NYFW, we have plenty of inspo to last us the season...
Have you tried any of the products mentioned above?
Review them now to earn points that you can swap for free beauty products in RewardsRoom.