How to: relaxed chignon
Oh how we’ve longed to perfect the ‘just scrapped this up in five seconds flat’ look. While we couldn’t pin Gossip Girl star Leighton Meester down to discuss hers, we did manage to talk top tips for a relaxed chignon with Adrian Bosworth, Master Stylist at Oscar Oscar Salons in Melbourne.
Point numero uno though, you need long hair to achieve the look so get growing!
1. Once you’ve washed and towel-dried your hair, you need to add a pre-styling product for volume. Try Aveda Volumizing Tonic or Paul Mitchell Volumising Spray, both of which you spritz into the root area of your hair to help give lift.
2. Then blow-dry your hair so that it’s completely dry.
3. Now pull all of your hair back into a low ponytail. Use your fingers only, as opposed to a brush, as this will create a more natural look.
4. Next separate your ponytail into two separate pieces and tie into a knot. Pin the knot into place using bobby pins. (Handy tip: if you want a more textured look, you can also backcomb the ponytail before you knot it.)
5. Now take small sections of any over-hanging hair and twist them around the knot and pin in place. Repeat this process until all the excess hair is pinned around the knot, which will create your chignon.
6. Finish the look by loosening some strands of hair around your face to soften the look and you're done!
To contact your closest Oscar Oscar salon, visit www.oscaroscar.com.au