12 yrs ago

Youtube Scam!

I love watching beauty vids on youtube and regularly enter comps to win beauty stuff. And recently I received a message stating that I had won an IPAD 3!!
This sounded so good to be true, (and of course it was) but the message seemed to be from the youtuber, and it was so casual and friendly and really sounded legit, and it attached the original video I entered into and everything.
Unfortunately this was a scam, luckily I didn’t enter any details (because it only gave links for people in the US, UK or Europe) and I just happened to stumble across a youtuber’s vid about these scams and to tell people it’s not her messaging people.

In hindsight, it was a total scam because
1. The comp was not for an Ipad and never mentioned one at all
2. The sender had a name very similar to the real youtuber (but with minor spelling changes) and added “this is my second account, this is NOT a scam!”
3. The competition was open internationally, so why would there not be an option for people not in the US, UK and Europe?

Anyway, after that I received three more exact messages, so it’s definitely a scam, but just a warning if anyone gets these messages, please ignore!
It’s really scary how smart these scammers are getting and how hard they’re working..

If there are any other scams you’ve run into recently, please share!

10 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 11 yrs, 3 mths ago

Bit of an old thread… but I hate people who do things like this. It ruins it for the people running legitimate giveaways and comps.

If I ever get anything, even legitimate emails from my bank for example, I don’t use their link, but separately log onto their main website & then look for whatever they were linking me to – just so 100% I’ll not make an error & mis-judge an email, or click on a link & download malaware for example

That’s a smart way of doing things. Gah, it is so annoying when things like that happens. The first time I got YouTube messages like these, I remembered being super excited over it until I realized that the names were spelt differently…

• 11 yrs, 3 mths ago

Bit of an old thread… but I hate people who do things like this. It ruins it for the people running legitimate giveaways and comps.

If I ever get anything, even legitimate emails from my bank for example, I don’t use their link, but separately log onto their main website & then look for whatever they were linking me to – just so 100% I’ll not make an error & mis-judge an email, or click on a link & download malaware for example

• 11 yrs, 3 mths ago

Good thing you realized that it was fake before you did anything !!

• 11 yrs, 8 mths ago

Something I received a lot of recently is scam emails stating to be Paypal saying you need to click the link and update your details. I was sus because PayPal always addresses their emails with your name this one didn’t and I checked the email address and it was slightly different to the real PayPal email. I reported the email along with other simillar ones to PayPal they have an email address on there website where you can forward any scam emails you receive pretending to be them.

I’ve had abot 3 of those this month!!!I didnt even bother reading them as I had just used my paypal and it worked fine(plus Id assume whle I was logged in it would of told me I needed to update…)
    And yes the email sender address was kind of suss…Imagine all the people they must scam but:/

• 11 yrs, 8 mths ago

Something I received a lot of recently is scam emails stating to be Paypal saying you need to click the link and update your details. I was sus because PayPal always addresses their emails with your name this one didn’t and I checked the email address and it was slightly different to the real PayPal email. I reported the email along with other simillar ones to PayPal they have an email address on there website where you can forward any scam emails you receive pretending to be them.

• 11 yrs, 8 mths ago

yep this has happened to me before too. I was suss on it straight away but I’m sure not everyone would be quite so suspicious.
    I remember it happened to lisa elridge once too and she had to apologise to all the people who got excited….

• 11 yrs, 8 mths ago

^ that post is just a liiiittle bit ironic.

• 12 yrs ago

Oh my! Wow, lucky you didn’t enter details or anything! Some people seriously need to find better things to do with their time than to scam others.

• 12 yrs ago

Oh yes, I just signed up to Youtube to upload a video, and then I already got sent some spam email from some fake Youtube member. I hope it doesn’t keep happening. I thought my account was private.

• 12 yrs ago

I love watching beauty vids on youtube and regularly enter comps to win beauty stuff. And recently I received a message stating that I had won an IPAD 3!!
    This sounded so good to be true, (and of course it was) but the message seemed to be from the youtuber, and it was so casual and friendly and really sounded legit, and it attached the original video I entered into and everything.
    Unfortunately this was a scam, luckily I didn’t enter any details (because it only gave links for people in the US, UK or Europe) and I just happened to stumble across a youtuber’s vid about these scams and to tell people it’s not her messaging people.

In hindsight, it was a total scam because
    1. The comp was not for an Ipad and never mentioned one at all
    2. The sender had a name very similar to the real youtuber (but with minor spelling changes) and added “this is my second account, this is NOT a scam!”
    3. The competition was open internationally, so why would there not be an option for people not in the US, UK and Europe?

Anyway, after that I received three more exact messages, so it’s definitely a scam, but just a warning if anyone gets these messages, please ignore!
    It’s really scary how smart these scammers are getting and how hard they’re working..

If there are any other scams you’ve run into recently, please share!

i HATE scams. they happen so often these days. thankfully you didnt enter any details! thats like one time i typed in youtube, but mispelt it and it came up that i was picked in my region to do a short survey and was in the prize to win either an ipad, iphone and something else… i didnt enter, i knew it was a scam!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.