14 yrs, 10 mths ago

The Pill – your experiences

Hey guys,

It’s been a while since I posted on these forums. I did a quick search but couldn’t find a dedicated thread to the topic of The Pill.

I was just wondering what people’s experiences are with it? I’m currently on Yasmin but as I’m a poor uni student, I got a prescription for Levlen but all I’ve heard are horror stories about ongoing periods, bloating and weight gain.

Yasmin works okay for me but I do get a bit of spotting. Does anybody else have adverse reactions to this brand?

624 comments 59 voices

Replies

• 10 yrs ago

I have a question to all the girls who have stopped taking the pill… I had my last withdrawal bleed in November (end of the month) then I stopped taking the pill. My “”real”” period has not returned yet and there is a lot of conflicting information on the net and the doctor reckons it`s “”normal”” for a few months before the body to get used to doing things on it`s own again. Has anyone had a similar experience previously?

• 10 yrs ago

I have a question to all the girls who have stopped taking the pill… I had my last withdrawal bleed in November (end of the month) then I stopped taking the pill. My “”real”” period has not returned yet and there is a lot of conflicting information on the net and the doctor reckons it`s “”normal”” for a few months before the body to get used to doing things on it`s own again. Has anyone had a similar experience previously?

• 10 yrs ago

• 10 yrs ago

• 10 yrs ago

Unfortunately I think the pill has affected my mental health quite severely, but until there is another cure for period problems I`m stuck on the damn pill!

I hear you… I have libido issues when on the pill. I am also starting to suspect it could be affecting me in terms of mild anxiety and insomnia (which seem to feed into each other). My insomnia is pretty bad but it always has been so I`m not sure. But I can`t be off the pill. I just can`t go back to those horrific periods.

• 10 yrs ago

Unfortunately I think the pill has affected my mental health quite severely, but until there is another cure for period problems I`m stuck on the damn pill!

I hear you… I have libido issues when on the pill. I am also starting to suspect it could be affecting me in terms of mild anxiety and insomnia (which seem to feed into each other). My insomnia is pretty bad but it always has been so I`m not sure. But I can`t be off the pill. I just can`t go back to those horrific periods.

• 10 yrs ago

• 10 yrs ago

• 10 yrs ago

Hi SoMuchPretty, as I understand it it`s fine to skip the occasional bleed but I would consult your doctor about the long term safety of never having your period. I think there are some risks involved in not having your uterus lining shed regularly. But I might have misunderstood what my doctor told me. Here`s hoping you`re right and you never need to bleed again!

There is no medical reason for having a bleed while on the pill. The placebos were only put in the pack because the inventor of the pill was Catholic. Introducing a monthly “”period”” made it look more natural and he hoped to win approval from the Catholic Church.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/sexual-health/female-reproductive-system/monthly-period2.htm

I once asked my GP about skipping periods on the pill. He said basically they don`t know what happens if you keep doing it. He recommended I have a bleed every 3 months but my period is horrible. Even on the pill it`s uncomfortable, so I tend to skip all the time. There are reasons you might want to take the placebos and have your bleed. It confirms you are not pregnant for one. Maybe it makes you feel a bit more womanly having the bleed. And that`s fine. Lastly, you can experience spotting by continuously skipping the placebos so you might prefer to have your bleed every month as an alternative.

I have heard a lot of people say that skipping periods on the pill is fine and all the reasons why the placebo pills have been included….I just can`t get past the fact that in the week leading up to my period, like Scray Scray, I feel as though I`m due for a `real` period. In fact, if I didn`t skip that week in my pill cycle I`m sure I would explode! My boobs and tummy become really big and as soon as my period comes everything shrinks back to normal again. I suppose we`re all a bit different in that way.

I`m glad you have found a way to avoid at least some of your awful periods So Much Pretty. Without the pill mine are unbearable, but unlike you I`m lucky that they`re able to be brought under control by a low dose pill. Unfortunately I think the pill has affected my mental health quite severely, but until there is another cure for period problems I`m stuck on the damn pill!

• 10 yrs ago

Hi SoMuchPretty, as I understand it it`s fine to skip the occasional bleed but I would consult your doctor about the long term safety of never having your period. I think there are some risks involved in not having your uterus lining shed regularly. But I might have misunderstood what my doctor told me. Here`s hoping you`re right and you never need to bleed again!

There is no medical reason for having a bleed while on the pill. The placebos were only put in the pack because the inventor of the pill was Catholic. Introducing a monthly “”period”” made it look more natural and he hoped to win approval from the Catholic Church.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/sexual-health/female-reproductive-system/monthly-period2.htm

I once asked my GP about skipping periods on the pill. He said basically they don`t know what happens if you keep doing it. He recommended I have a bleed every 3 months but my period is horrible. Even on the pill it`s uncomfortable, so I tend to skip all the time. There are reasons you might want to take the placebos and have your bleed. It confirms you are not pregnant for one. Maybe it makes you feel a bit more womanly having the bleed. And that`s fine. Lastly, you can experience spotting by continuously skipping the placebos so you might prefer to have your bleed every month as an alternative.

I have heard a lot of people say that skipping periods on the pill is fine and all the reasons why the placebo pills have been included….I just can`t get past the fact that in the week leading up to my period, like Scray Scray, I feel as though I`m due for a `real` period. In fact, if I didn`t skip that week in my pill cycle I`m sure I would explode! My boobs and tummy become really big and as soon as my period comes everything shrinks back to normal again. I suppose we`re all a bit different in that way.

I`m glad you have found a way to avoid at least some of your awful periods So Much Pretty. Without the pill mine are unbearable, but unlike you I`m lucky that they`re able to be brought under control by a low dose pill. Unfortunately I think the pill has affected my mental health quite severely, but until there is another cure for period problems I`m stuck on the damn pill!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.