11 yrs, 2 mths ago

Sunscreen or Zinc?

I’ve always been a sunscreen user but have recently learnt that Zinc creams offer a higher SPF protection.

Has anyone used the Zinc sunscreens and how different are they from normal sunscreen?

36 comments 34 voices

Replies

• 5 yrs, 7 mths ago

Physical sunscreen all the way. Bring on the zinc oxide.

For anybody with melasma, look for a tinted physical sunscreen with added iron oxides as iron oxides block visible light. Visible light exacerbates melasma.

• 5 yrs, 7 mths ago

If you don’t want the stuff to sit on your skin, I would say suncream. My kids make me rub the zinc for ages.

• 5 yrs, 7 mths ago

My kids and hubby like zine. I prefer sunscreen.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I find zinc very thick. Great to read this topic. I used a well known brand with Zinc in it last summer on my arms and got a rash.

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

I personally prefer Zinc based sunscreens. I have always found that chemical sunscreens tend to make my eyes really sore and teary. I don’t rub the sunscreen in my eyes obviously, but over the day when I sweat, it seems to randomly get into my eyes and stings so bad! It has even happened while I drove home once and it was very dangerous.

Zinc also works immediately because it creates a physical barrier so you don’t have to rub it in an hour before etc.

The only bad thing would be that zinc based sunscreens do have flashback when taking photos and can make you look white, however I figured if it’s during the day which is when you would wear it, it wouldn’t really make a difference.

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

Zinc, bc I’m allergic to most chemical sunscreens

• 6 yrs, 7 mths ago

I surf alot and am constantly in the sun and water. Having been using Zinc (Invisible Zinc Facial Moisturiser) and it works perfectly.
    I do find that its hard to remove afterwards though, it seems to build up in my pores but it 100% stops my skin burning 🙂

• 6 yrs, 9 mths ago

Don’t forget titanium only protects against sun burn not the rays that cause skin ageing xxx

• 6 yrs, 9 mths ago

awesome thread I knew I can count on BH, was trying to find the diff between sunscreen and zinc. thank you! 🙂

• 6 yrs, 11 mths ago

I’ve never really understood the purpose of Zinc until now if I am honest. It was always just something used at swimming carnivals for decoration!
    But now I can use it for extra protection!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.