2 yrs, 3 mths ago

Splurge on Shampoo or Conditioner?

Ok, so it’s a new year, and I am really trying to stick to this budget that I set myself as a New Year Resolution.
I am really wanting to invest in great haircare, but can only afford to either buy a decent Shampoo or a decent Conditioner ($40 odd price range).
Would you recommend I buy either;

a) The reasonably priced Shampoo with the totally amazing (and $44 price tag) Conditioner, OR

b) The $44 Shampoo with the reasonably priced Conditioner?

Thanks in advance

14 comments 11 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

Have you tried shopping online? Sometimes you can get 1L bottles, a set of 2 for around $40. And they are of good quality. I currently am using wella SP colour care and it only cost me $50 for both.

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

Without a doubt splurge on a good Conditioner. That’s where you will get the most benefit.

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

Definitely the conditioner. I notice a big difference when I splurge on a nice conditioner (or mask as people have mentioned above!)

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

Conditioner, but just because you are on a budget does’nt mean you will be forced to use a crappy shampoo, you will have to go through and read reviews and think about what ingredients are important to you, then find something suitable.

And how often do you shampoo? if you cut down on how many times a week then it means you will use less of the expensive stuff (I know it’s not rocket science – I just thought I would mention it)

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

I’d splurge on the conditioner or a hair mask since both of those sit in your hair for a bit before being washed out.

At present my shampoo is dearer than my conditioner (not by a huge amount though), but the shampoo works well with my funny scalp, so I’m willing to pay a bit more for it.

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

I would buy a better conditioner first rather than an expensive shampoo or as Perth chic suggested a hair mask . Cost is not always an indication of the best product though.

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

I love my hair mask – I try to use it once a week or fortnight and it makes my hair feel amazing afterwards.

Have you read the reviews of these expensive shampoo and conditioner products?

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

Thanks for the advice, I will look into the mask – I never thought about that/crossed my mind before. I have reduced the amount of times I wash my hair too as it goes unruly and takes a day or two to calm down.

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

I would not be paying that much for shampoo and or conditioner. It seems like a huge amount to me?

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

I would buy neither. I would buy a hair mask every now and then. Does your hair need it? Is it damaged?

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

I agree with Perthchick- buy a decent hair mask.

I don’t tend to use supermarket hair products but I’m in the mostly no shampoo camp. My hair has never been shinier than when I stopped washing it frequently.

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

Did you go through a gross oily hair phase while your hair was becoming accustomed to no shampooing? I’ve always wanted to try it but only got as far as a week and started shampooing again

• 2 yrs, 3 mths ago

Hi Rinny,

I did but luckily it was at the beginning of the pandemic. I sometimes use a good conditioner as a co-wash and rinse my scalp with diluted apple cider vinegar.

There are so many irritants in hair and scalp products so I like to minimise them.

That said, I am in the market for a great scalp scrub!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.