6 yrs, 9 mths ago

Ripped off

A few months back (September 2016) I visited my local OPSM to get my eyes tested as I was due for a test. I was told my eyes had worsened and I was prescribed these glasses with a heap of added extras. I was also asked to do a test that I was then charged for and told I needed drops for something I don’t have. The optometrist and sales person alike were really pushy and I ended up spending 562 dollars. After reflection I realized how expensive this was so I was able to get a refund for the glasses (489 dollars) but not the other extras (the woman at the counter wasn’t happy).

Today I went to specsavers and I got my eyes tested. I told them what had happened at OPSM. They tested my eyes and said I only need glasses for reading (which is what I suspected all along). I ended up ordering two pairs for 199 at specsavers and the customer service was great (helpful but not pushy). Has anyone else had a similar experience with OPSM

22 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 5 yrs, 5 mths ago

I’ve found Optical Superstore to be great.

• 5 yrs, 7 mths ago

I found OPSM prices to be expensive.

• 6 yrs ago

hmm I always found the assistants at Specsavers have no idea what they are doing with frame fittings. They are just like pick whatever but most people don’t have a clue with what suits their face measurements. They NEED to be guided.

There are specific dimensions on the frames, it’s a bunch of numbers that tell you how wide things which are meant to help you find the perfect pair. I learnt this from an independent optometrist I when to, where the guy who did my eye test also helped me fit my frames.

• 6 yrs, 5 mths ago

I have always gone to Specsavers. They are the preferred anyway for my private health fund, but I find them good value, good options, and great service. Fast to order and come back. Good after sales too. Should have gone to Specsavers…

• 6 yrs, 5 mths ago

Yes I have had some bad experiences when purchasing glasses from OPSM. I think we feel vulnerable when shopping for something thats medical and a necessity. We want to look good but also treat the eye problem we have. I hate selecting glasses and as they are so on your face to speak – its a BIG purchase.

I never go alone now, I take my husband who is really down to earth and honest with purchases and how they look.

I go to Supersavers who have a decent range to suit my budget. I find the youngish sales assistants very honest in what suits me and I love the iPads that I can take a pic of myself in the different glasses and so I can refer back to them when deciding.

I love my latest glasses so much and like a lipstick they add a pop of colour to my face 🙂

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Never tried OPSM but am considering Specsavers just because of their advertising.

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Every time I went to OPSM, never liked their service. The staff is not welcoming or friendly . They don’t have enough variety of frames for real spectacle user’s needs.

• 6 yrs, 7 mths ago

I have recently started wearing glasses only need them for using the PC at work or if I’m reading.
    There are several stores at my local shopping centre including OPSM and Specsavers. I ended up going to OPSM my glasses cost over $300 after the health care rebate. All there frames are quite expensive to start with. I am happy with them though and often take them into the store for a clean or to tighten the screws. Staff are always friendly and helpful. I would like a second pair though but don’t want to fork out another $300+ dollars. Was thinking about getting the script and going to specsavers to see if I could get another pair cheaper. It would be useful to have a second pair so I could have a pair at work and a pair at home.

• 6 yrs, 7 mths ago

My father recently went to OPSM after I had an experience with unfriendly pushy staff at Optical Superstore and their lack of selection, especially for people with petite faces like mine ( Though the prices are great), the cost of OPSM ended up being almost 3x that of what we have usually paid in the past at Optical Superstore so they are more expensive for sure but the service was exceptional, very friendly and helpful staff. If you are getting classes with the special multi-focal lenses I would say go for OPSM though as they use gadget to properly measure, at Optical Superstore (at least the one near me) the sales person does it by hand and with her own eye which can be inaccurate and lead to issues we have found.

• 6 yrs, 9 mths ago

I wonder if the Sales Staff work on commission and whether that is the reason why they may be so pushy? I don’t like that kind of service either. I have recently been to the Lions Eye Centre in Perth, always lovely service, absolutely non pushy and although their frame variety is only small, they do have a range from ‘cheap’ to expensive

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.