2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Odd concept:Moisturisers with SPF

Is it just me or does anyone else think this is an odd thing to do? Sun protection in a moisturiser, but the SPF is low like 15 or 30 SPFand most likely won’t stop you from burning. In Australia we have a high UV rating , some states more than others and the best protection is the SPF 50 rating. I feel the 2 products should be separate and are a waste of time unless a 50 SPF is going into the moisturiser. For me, if I’m not going outside I just want normal face moisturiser on. If I am going outside and know it will be for more than 20 minutes, on goes the SPF 50 sunscreen instead. In the last rewards room I ordered CeraVe facial moisturing lotion PM, but got given the AM one instead. This comes with SPF15, so now I have a moisturiser with sunscreen, but not enough to stop me burning, but has the smell and feel of sunscreen when you don’t want it on. I will probably end up using it on my arms as most sunscreens irritate my sensitive skin or smell yuck.

30 comments 22 voices

Replies

• 1 yr, 11 mths ago

I have found that moisturisers with an SPF also have a shorter expiration date due to the sunscreen component loses it’s effectiveness.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I think they do it because anything is better than no SPF at all, so it is just another thing to promote their product.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

It puts me off buying the product when they do that Lisa. I don’t like sunscreen in a moisturiser, a lot of the chemicals make me feel nauseous or give me a headache. Worse still a lot cause a Rosacea flare up so for me I stick to my one or 2 favourite sunscreens or just use a normal moisturiser when not going out in the sun.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I reckon sunscreen has really become front and centre recently, and now SPF15 sounds way too low! I also prefer to use zinc oxide sunscreen, so SPF30 is my pick. I have noticed there are a lot more SPF50 options on the market too.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Honestly the best combination of moisturiser and sunscreen I have ever used is using them seperately as it gives me the best coverage and protection I love this combination together so much, I use the superfood Moisturiser from One of a Kind Skincare and I also use the Naked Sundays Sunscreen on top, both have clean ingredients and are light and absorbent on the skin! Truly the best combo ever!

I will link both so you guys can check them out

Superfood Moisturiser Superfood Moisturiser

and Naked Sundays Sunscreen with Collagen
    Naked Sundays

The best!

• 1 yr, 11 mths ago

Good to hear Raz and thankyou for commenting. I have just bought a bundle pack from the Naked Sundays for their mineral SPF50 and will also get to try their other SPF50 products in the bundle too because it was just such a good deal to buy it within the bundle. Can’t wait for it to arrive and try it!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

If I’m going for a quick 10 minute walk to the shops, I find that the lower SPF moisturizers are fine and if I were to stay in the sun for longer, I usually wear a hat. I use the higher SPF moisturizer or sunscreen if a hat is not appropriate eg cycling.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Facial Moisturisers with low SPF are not useful for a day outside or when you need to commute (or driving long distances, I’ve been badly burnt from a 30min car drive) but I do use the low SPF moisturisers daily when I do not leave the house.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I use moisturizer with SPF 50 all year round, it’s a must if you live in North Queensland. Still wear a hat most of the times I go outside.
    For a day at the beach the sunscreen is the best, no doubt.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

RalucaP good idea using the SPF 50. I went on holidays in far north Queensland a few decades ago and the sun was really intense. Even on overcast days I could feel my skin burning. Apparently even Tasmania has a high UV rating which surprised me. I won’t use anything less than SPF 50 when I’m going out in the sun now and are still amazed that companies are putting such a low SPF into moisturisers.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I don’t mind a 15 in my moisturiser. I usually use a moisturiser (0 or 15), a sunscreen (30+), and sometimes a tinted moisturiser (usually 15-30). I admit that on any one single one product alone I wouldn’t apply the prerequisite 5mL. 5mL is a lot. So I just can’t. However if there’s SPF in everything that I put onto my face then I might have a chance that I get a 20 or 25 protection.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I use the SPF 15 moisturiser if I’m going out late in the evening but the sun is still out.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Moisturiser with SPF15 might be sufficient in Europe, but not Australia. Still, it adds a little bit of extra protection if you’re layering with sunscreen &/or foundation with SPF. I wear sunscreen year-round. I’ve got an SPF15 day cream that I only use if I’m going to be home, indoors.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.