2 yrs, 6 mths ago

NSW Lockdown

Hi Ladies,

I’m living in Sydney and struggling with this covid.

Is anyone else struggling and feeling annoyed at this lockdown ??

25 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

To give everyone else stuck in lockdown a taste of what freedom might look like, here’s how I felt & what I saw whilst I was out & about yesterday.

For everyone who’s scared, or thinks they’ll feel weird about coming out of lockdown, I’m with you to a certain extent. Yesterday felt odd being out, but at the same time it was as if nothing had changed & we hadn’t just endured a prolonged lockdown. It was a bizarre feeling, but I admit it’ll be a while before I adjust to being on public transport again (forgot which platforms I needed to be on, or which side of the road I needed to catch a bus on etc).

Also of note: every time I’ve gone to Bondi Junction since the pandemic began, I’ve realised that people just do not know how to socially distance on an escalator. I always hop on at least 2-3 steps away from someone else, but more often than not I seem to get some dumb dumb standing right behind me. Happened again yesterday; mind you, I think it’s a problem with all escalators, not just at one particular shopping destination. Also saw a few people not bothering to check into a particular store as I ate my lunch (for those in the know, it’s the pet store on Level 1). Anyway, I can’t control what these folk do, I can only control myself.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Reasons why I avoid Bondi Junction unless I really have to go there, spot on, Shell!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

People who live in Greater Sydney (including the Central Coast, Wollongong, Shellharbour and the Blue Mountains) who are fully vaccinated will be allowed to travel into the regions from Monday for any reason except for a holiday, some of those reasons might include for work, inspecting property or caring for people.

oYayhoooooooooooooooo

I just read this quote and pasted it here because I found out I actually CAN leave the central coast for a swim at the heated pool that I’m a member of to do some laps because it’s actually not on the central coast where I go ‘normally’ and I thought I wasn’t going to be able to be allowed to but i can! So next nice warm day I’ll be headed there……. which may not be a while by the looks of the weather report but atleast I feel a little freer now!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

we feel like sitting ducks on the Central Coast – not allowed to go anywhere and all of sydney can visit us for as long or as little as they like. so bad. Not freedom day at all for us. This is gonna get worse here.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Victorian here.

While I don’t have an issue with lockdowns as needed, I believe there should be more freedoms for those of us who a double vaccinated provided we adhere to social distancing measures.

I also think we need booster shots.

We need about 90% coverage before we can safely get back to normality.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Yes it would be nice if us double vaxxed people were allowed to leave the central coast to avoid the sydney bombardment : (

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I don’t think it’s about gaining popularity. He was well known for his anti-lockdown stance (amongst many other more unfavourable anti stances) before he took his new position. This is why he has already earned the nickname, Let It Rip Dom.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I’m in WA and probably shouldn’t comment, but I really hope your new Premier is not opening up just to gain popularity, I’ve read this morning that the teachers union and other groups are not happy about the rapid end of lockdowns but I hope it all works out well.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Nah Lisa, it’s not a grab for popularity. As Ethelinde pointed out above, he was already known for being pro-freedom & against lockdowns well before he became Premier of NSW. Pretty sure he was the one who just wanted to let Delta rip through NSW…he might’ve played a part in why it took so long for us to actually shut things down. I shudder to think about what it would’ve been like had Gladys stepped down earlier & he’d been in charge when we were at our peak cases wise.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

This is not a popular view and I do not have an easy answer but hear me out. For context, I am in Victoria which means I, like others in this state, have suffered through the longest lockdown(s) in the world (I believe we recently reclaimed this title from Buenos Aires) so I am not entirely pro-lockdown, but I do believe most people have lost all perspective, at least in my state. I still believe the lockdown parameters in my state are absolutely necessary.

The only countries in the world to have had over 70-80% fully vaccinated rates of their entire country’s population (as opposed to just a mere state in a country) were the UK and Israel. Israel had the best vaccination rate in the world. Both countries are now back in lockdown after having opened up because despite high vaccination rates, because people became lax and their health systems are completely overwhelmed. They had no choice but to go back into lockdown in order to give doctors/nurses a chance, if that is even possible. I have little doubt this will be us, or at least NSW, or further as a consequence of NSW Government’s actions.

My preference is to do things as right as we can the first chance we have and not because we are reactive to the consequences of our actions after. My view is that we need to do whatever is possible not to overwhelm the already overwhelmed health system. They are coming in front of our cameras and crying actual tears for help right now. In addition to COVID numbers in the hospital, there are existing patients or people with other conditions that require medical treatment who cannot get that treatment now and are dying unnecessarily. For example, it is alarming to me the number of pregnant women who are particularly vulnerable at this time and the increasing number of unnecessary and preventable deaths from births gone wrong.

Vic will not be opening up like NSW. I really do not hope for it either. I think the existing parameters are enough so we should not feel as if we are in a cage but to completely open up like NSW is pure negligence and I do not support it for the sake of the medical industry who are doing everything they can to keep us all alive.

I am also furious with the protestors in my state who have not demonstrated that they understand even one iota of the civil liberties they preach they are entitled to. Human rights are reciprocal between all humans. A person cannot enforce human rights on others without having other people’s human rights enforced on them, including the right not to be endangered by a person’s reckless choices and actions. I have personally written off anyone who has supported and/or encouraged the protests in my state, which have only ensured that my state is in the precarious position it is in for even longer.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I completely agree with you Ethelinde. Re-opening NSW now (at 70%) doesn’t make sense. The AMA was pleading with the State Government not to do this, but apparently money comes first. I agree with you re Israel and UK. If we want to know how this lockdown is going to turn out, just look at countries that have gone before us. The ‘learning to live with covid’ line simply means learning to live with many more deaths.

There is another important factor that many have not taken into account, and that is that even those who have had two jabs may not be as protected as they think. The efficacy of Pfizer in particular goes down dramatically each month, so people who had their second dose months ago may only have as much protection as someone on their first dose.

I’m going to continue living by lockdown rules until a clearer picture of how we are going emerges.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I am 100% on-board with you Ethelinde. Not to mention the health system is expected to be completely overwhelmed, I have an unvaccinated 4yo at home and while everyone seems to want their children to get back to school asap I am so hesitant that I am actually considering pulling her out of school altogether next year (she is due to start kindy). It is very worrying that NSW opens up just like that.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I don’t know whether it’s naïvete or something else, but this Sydneysider is actually excited about getting out of lockdown on Monday. I think because I’m in one of the LGA’s that’s been under harsher restrictions; I’m really over my 5km/LGA limit & can’t wait to get out & about. Of course, I’ll take every single precaution I can (and I am fully vaccinated – have been for about 2 months) & follow the rules etc, but at the same time I also can’t contain my joy that this is about to happen. I can understand why some of you are nervous/hesitant though; however, on the flipside, this COVID-zero mentality that we’ve had for so long was/is unsustainable & at some stage we are going to have to open up, whether we like it or not. I just hope now that large swathes of Sydney has been vaccinated that those doses get re-directed to the regions that need it.

Do I think we should’ve waited until we were at 80% double dose to open up? Perhaps. However, I also know that the Sydney natives are restless & this is what we were promised, even Dom Perignon (as I’ve nicknamed our new Premier) wouldn’t have been able to back out (and besides, he’s all about freedoms).

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Me too! I’ve been in a harsher LGA as well and getting a bit over it.. I am still a little nervous as many people still aren’t vaccinated and so many have still been going the wrong thing but at the same time I can’t wait to go out for a meal or a drive and of course SHOP in a shopping centre!!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Melbourne……YES YES YES!!!

We only go out if we really need to go. It’s not otherwise worth the risk.

But we are well and truly OVER IT!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

An ACT person here – and someone who is very stressed about NSW opening soon. I am glad of the comparatively cautious approach that our own local government is taking. My kids are meant to be back at school from the 25th of October though – and as keen as they are to be back – I am worried, because 3 out of 4 of them are not eligible to be vaccinated yet.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.