5 years, 9 months ago

Korean makeup & skincare – my experiences and please share yours!

The list below is my personal experience with Korean brand makeup and beauty products. I’ve been converted for about 3 years when I picked some up overseas while in Asia and hooked ever since!

Please share your experiences and brands – I’ve only touched on a few! Some general notes I’ll start with:

Skincare – oil cleansers, solid oil balms, essences, ampoules, serums, confused? Read this helpful board on Reddit, it explains all the steps for Asian skincare and also some ingredients to look out for https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/comments/2jcss2/asian_skincare_101_a_beginners_guide_faq/

Looking for trusted online sellers? check out this list on Reddit of trusted sellers people are purchasing through. https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/comments/290to0/giant_list_of_websites_ebayers_etc/

also thanks to Preciousia this site also analyzes products and gives you a breakdown of ingredients: http://www.cosdna.com/

Asian Beauty Reddit is another board I stalk on a regular basis, it’s pretty helpful
https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/

edit to add I just tidied up the first post as I was getting tired scrolling past that long one lol

1,068 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 2 wks, 4 days ago

I am really digging K beauty lately. The prices are just so so cheap compared to equivalent or similar quality of what we otherwise get in this market.

My review on Klairs sheet masks:

https://www.stella-lee.com.au/post/review-dear-klairs-sheet-masks

My review on Iunik Beta-Glucan serum:

https://www.stella-lee.com.au/post/review-iunik-beta-glucan-power-moisture-serum-k-beauty

My review on Torriden Dive-in range:

https://www.stella-lee.com.au/post/review-torriden-dive-in-k-beauty

• 1 month, 1 w ago

I’m thinking of starting a double cleanse and toner first, then top up if it’s good for my skin.
    For me, the risk is too great that I will buy a bunch of Korean products right now, and my skin will not tolerate them. So now I am limiting my skin routine to twice a week exfoliation and acne cream.

• 1 month, 1 w ago

I find this concept very interesting but so expensive

• 1 month, 3 wks ago

Wish we could upload images. I have new Sioris stuff and a new brand, Chasin’ Rabbits, to share.

Has anyone got anything new in ABeauty/KBeauty to share?

• 5 months, 3 wks ago

I mentioned some k-beauty products and Frenchy suggested that I post here, so I’ll gather some products from my recent empties.

Manyo Factory Bifida Biome Complex Ampoule

One of my favourite products. Contains probiotics from several ferments, 10 types of hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, peptide, is fragrance-free. Wonderful hydrating product that strengthens the skin barrier without irritation. It has done wonders on my husband’s dry sensitive skin and has evened out his skin tone/reduced redness.

COSRX Oil-Free Ultra-Moisturizing Lotion, with Birch Sap

This is a very light emulsion but packs a punch in terms of hydration. It has a simple formula with 70% birch sap (not water), glycerin, betaine, hyaluronic acid etc. There is a slight scent from the tea tree oil but it is subtle. It is really lovely and absorbs quickly. It is marketed as suitable for all skin types including sensitive and acne-prone.

Mizon Snail Repair Eye Cream

This was my first venture into ‘snail slime’. It contains 80% snail mucin, an ingredient that contains allantoin, collagen, elastin, glycolic acid, hyaluronic acid, copper peptides etc. This eye cream also contains niacinamide, extra sodium hyaluronate, and a peptide. In terms of texture it is lightweight and pleasant and easily absorbed, and doesn’t have any fragrance. I can’t say that I’ve seen any dramatic improvement, but it did temporarily reduce the look of fine lines. As an eye cream it is very pleasant to use. I’m undecided if I will come back to this, as I have other eye creams in my stash to use up.

Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence

I received this mini size in a iherb k-beauty bag . This is a clear essence that has a light serum-like viscosity. It spreads beautifully and feels hydrating, and is fragrance-free. It goes on after toner and before moisturiser. It contains snail secretion filtrate to help repair damaged skin and increase hydration, and bee venom is antibacterial to fight inflammation and is good for acne. It also contains niacinamide. I would repurchase.

Mizon All In One Snail repair cream

This is a half-size product that I purchased to try out. The full size product comes in a jar. As above, snail mucin is great for hydration and repairing skin damage. It also contains copper peptide and 2 other peptides. This has a very silky, light feel and is fragrance-free. As a moisturiser on its own, it would suit normal-to-oily skin types. It’s not heavy enough for my combination skin in winter, but I found it to be perfect layered over heavier serums like The Ordinary’s retinol products in squalane which is a bit oily – it kinda balances things out. I would repurchase for it’s excellent texture and excellent ingredients.

• 6 months ago

Ooh excited to find this thread. Really love everything I’ve tried from Laneige. Does Mirenesse count? They design in Australia and make in S Korea.

• 6 months ago

This is the newly launched By Wishtrend Hydra Enriched Ampoule sent to me by Wishtrend before its launch last week. I have trialled it for over a week so far. I’m almost halfway through the bottle already. Looks baby blue in the bottle but the serum is actually transparent and fragrance-free. Lightweight, low viscosity, and very hydrating. Perfect for addressing transepidermal water loss. Recommended for oily/combo skin types. I am a dry skin type and I absolutely love it. Pair it with Klairs Fundamental Watery Oil Drop and chef’s kiss!

Ingredients:

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Polysaccharides (70%), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Water, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polyglycerin-3, Propanediol, Malachite Extract, Polyglyceryl-10 Oleate, Glycosyl Trehalose, Methyl Gluceth-20, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Allantoin, Betaine, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Maltodextrin, Panthenol, Pentylene Glycol, Trehalose, Houttuynia Cordata Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tocopherol

A breakdown of some of the interesting ingredients:

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Polysaccharides is a sugar molecule extracted from the leaf of an aloe vera plant and binds water to skin. Aloe vera in general treats skin by improving skin integrity, decreasing the appearance of fine wrinkles and reduction in redness.

Propanediol is a fatty alcohol that is used as a penetration enhancing ingredient. It is also hydrating and can leave a greasy/oily residue on the skin (although there is no such effect with application of this serum). It is usually added in skincare formulations to reduce the viscosity of a formulation.

Malachite extract is a liquid mineral extract derived from malachite stone, a natural source of copper and other trace minerals. Copper acts as an antioxidant, protecting skin from free radicals that can cause skin oxidative stress. It also promotes detoxification of cells, stimulates collagen and elastin, and helps the synthesis and stablisation of proteins and the pH levels of the skin.

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein is a combination of proteins, peptides, and amino acids derived from vegetable sources (usually from wheat, corn, soybeans, or peas), and functions as a moisturising and skin conditioning agent. The amino acids in the chemical structure have the ability to form a protein-lipid film when applied to skin and this attracts water, drawing moisture into skin.

• 10 months, 1 w ago

I like Korean cosmetics, but I buy them with caution. I like Korean masks, I already have several brands written out for me and I always look for them. I also like their foundation, I can’t remember the exact brand. It’s a bad thing, they are very expensive in our stores.

• 10 months, 1 w ago

I’m a huge fan and have been using the Sulwhasoo moisturiser, eye cream and activating serum and have been using these products for over a year now. It ends up being cheaper to buy the sample sizes rather than full size as well (this saves hundreds of dollars for just one product sometimes although it isn’t the best environmental option). Have used the Pyunkang Yul, Essence Toner daily for over 2 years now.

I was using and buying Korean products so much so I ended up using my ABN and buying directly from wholesalers in South Korea the products end up costing usually half the price or sometimes even quarter of the price, I would wait until I needed to do a big order and some of the wholesalers only had minimums of $200 spend to make an order too which was easy to fill with products for my bf and I. Now I do it more often as I order for friends too so they can get cheaper products. It makes me miss travelling though as I know I can get it even cheaper in store in SK

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.