2 yrs, 1 mth ago

How to Format on the Forum Without the Formatting Box

image host

While the formatting box is AWOL, I type out the relevant codes & it works. I’ve also successfully used bold print & italics in article comments, but I haven’t tried strikethrough.

I can’t type out the coding here without it being formatted when my comment is submitted, so I’ve uploaded an image. You may save this image to your device for reference if you like.

image host

• Uploading images is hit & miss – mostly miss. So far, we’re unable to upload pics directly from our devices, but we hope to regain this feature in the future. The best method at the moment is to use a third-party image-hosting website, such as imgbox.com. There’s more info about this on the How To Upload Pics on the Forum – New 2021 Site Revamp thread.

14 comments 9 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

Testing:

<mark>Mark</mark>
    <small>small</small>
    <sub>subscripted text</sub>
    <sup>superscripted text</sup>
    <table>table</table>
    <u>underline</u>
    <br>line</br>

[EDIT] Nope, none of that worked.

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

M8! Have I told you lately that I love you. BH should pay you.

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

Haha, @MerryGoRound!

I tried to reply to you when you mentioned you were one of the members Bh asked for feedback before the site relaunch – I was so jealous! That comment might be out of cyber limbo by now, lost in the back pages of whatever thread it was on?

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

Perhaps changing the website wasn’t such a good thing.

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

Most members have probably realised by now that adding @ before other members’ usernames on the forum creates a link to their public profile page. It doesn’t work on Bh article comments.

Capitalisation is irrelevant, e.g. @Misfortune8, @misfortune8, @MISFORTUNE8 or @mISfOrTuNe8 all lead to my public profile page. It won’t work if we do a typo or shorten usernames, e.g. @misfortunate8, @misfortune or @mis8 all appear as regular text.

It also doesn’t work for members with a space in their usernames, e.g. the lovely @Skincare junkie, @Shop A Everyday, @Perfume Princess & others. (What looks like a link to Skincare junkie’s public profile page leads to a different member called @Skincare.) Underscores are OK, e.g. the forum’s Mother Hen, @Trish_D.

I don’t know if this will tag members when we get our notifications back.

To format usernames with a space is complicated. I can’t type it here because it will format when it posts, so here’s an image.

image host

IF ANYONE DISCOVERS AN EASIER WAY, PLEASE SHARE IT! I’m on desktop with a full QWERTY keyboard, my typing speed exceeds 70 words per minute, & I’m more than a little OCD. Few of you, in your right minds, would bother.

I’M SURE NOBODY WILL BE OFFENDED IF YOU DON’T FORMAT THEIR USERNAME.

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

Thanks Misfortunate8 – you’re so knowledgable!

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

Thanks for the advice, why does everything seem so much harder on this new website.

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

good to know

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

No worries, Everyone!

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

Aha! It’s finally passed moderation – I emailed about it this morning because it was pending for 11 days!

This is relatively easy on PC with a full QWERTY keyboard, but it might be trickier on smartphone.

• 2 yrs, 1 mth ago

Awesome! Thanks so much for this Misfortune8!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.