6 yrs, 3 mths ago

Hospital bag

Hi guys,

Happy new year!

I’m working on an article about what expectant mothers should pack in your hospital bag. I’d love to know what you packed, what you wished you packed or didn’t pack and why to include in my article. The more opinions on this the better. So please share your story with me.

thanks,

bh’s Kristy xx

47 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 3 yrs, 10 mths ago

Laneige lip sleeping mask was a lifesaver, my lips were insanely dry during labour and postpartum!

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

For hospital bag its good to pack basic toiletries such as body wash , shampoo , brush , moisturiser , paste,( u can buy those travel size packs from drug store) hair brush , hair ties.
    Your own water bottle and some snack bars. Big size undies are must and sanitary pads such as maternity pads which are big in size and also now adays the pull up padded undies are good for th first few days. Clothes like buttoned down long shirts or any thing with front opening can be good. Comfy pjs and slippers are also essential.
    For the baby mittens, burp cloth, onesies, newborn diapers, socks, baby wipes,.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

Congratulations, morganlouise. Take care.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

pinchme80 any news yet?

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

She close now not long now

She said u need to personalise your own needs in bag she said everyones different in what’s needed to them 🙂

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

Sending positive vibes and hugs (or high fives) to your sister and all the family, pinchme80. Wishing every possible good wish as you wait for the new baby.

A new baby is like the beginning of all things – wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.

• 6 yrs, 1 mth ago

I gave birth to my baby daughter in Sept 2017 so my memory is fresh… what I needed the most in my hospital bag was
    1. Nappies – I kept around 10 but didn’t need that many
    2. Sanitary pads – 2-3 packs of maternity pads
    3. Clothes for baby – 3-4 pairs
    4. Toiletries and makeup for myself including toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush etc
    5. Snacks – trust me! You will feel hungry after giving birth
    6. Breast pump – I didn’t keep it but now I feel I should have as my supply was too less and I didn’t have my breast pump on me to stimulate supply.
    7. I kept baby wash, lotion and shampoo but that was provided by the hospital in the baby bath room so wasn’t required – depends on the hospital you give birth in
    8. Even though hospital has formula in case you need it, I recommend keeping some because when my supply was limited, I was told the little amount of colostrum that I was squeezing out manually was enough but my baby’s cries told me otherwise. It was difficult to get the formula from the nurses as they were just not ready to provide it. Or speak with the nurses beforehand to know how to get formula if needed.
    9. Water bottle – you need to drink a lot of water if breastfeeding
    10. Phone, charger and earphones
    11. Clothes for your partner or attendant, in case they need to change
    12. Comfortable clothes for yourself, preferably front-open if you are breastfeeding
    13. Baby wipes
    14. Muslin to swaddle the baby
    15. Baby blanket
    16. Towels – for yourself and baby

I kept a lot of unnecessary things in my bag like toys , dummies, baby stuff other than things listed above (like nappy rash cream) but you don’t need them in the hospital. The baby is too young to be holding toys, taking dummy or getting a nappy rash so these can be skipped

• 6 yrs, 2 mths ago

Thanks to everyone for sharing! So many great suggestions. x

• 6 yrs, 2 mths ago

I’m packing mine now its exciting

• 6 yrs, 2 mths ago

All the very best, morganlouise. You will let us know when the baby arrives, won`t you?

Each time a child is born the world lights up with new possibilities.

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

Arrived healthy on 17/06 at 9:48pm ruff delivery 6 pound 14 he is here an baby an mum doing well 🙂 will have post a picture one day soon if let`s me upload one 🙂

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

Congratulations morganlouise lots of bubs being born lately. 🙂

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

Awww congrats MorganLouise. I am glad you and bubs are doing well xx

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

Congratulations! xxx

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

Congratulations!! morganlouise on your lovely arrival. Such a joyful time!

• 5 yrs, 10 mths ago

Big congrats morganlouise!!

• 6 yrs ago

We Will do its a baby boy arriving in june so excited for my sister he is due around 20 long awaited gift he is going be loved trish-D

• 6 yrs ago

That`s so lovely, pinchme80. I hope everything goes beautifully for your sister. It`s such a special time for family – all the very best.

• 6 yrs, 2 mths ago

For those of you about to have a baby, Chemist Warehouse have an offer if you spend $50 on baby stuff you get a box full of baby products / samples.

I got one today and it’s pretty decent. You get bottles, wipes, nappy samples, body wash samples etc

• 6 yrs, 2 mths ago

never knew they did that … but it works even for travellers i guess

• 6 yrs, 2 mths ago

I’ll be waiting to read your article as i’m expecting baby no2. Here’s what I packed when i had my son almost 4 years ago.
    Basic toiletries- soap, shampoo. toothpaste, toothbrush, Makeup (optional)
    Night gown and robe with a front opening if you are breastfeeding.
    clothes to wear when leaving hospital.
    Socks and slippers
    Hair ties
    Lip balm
    Phone charger
    snacks- nuts, biscuits, muesli bars (hospital food didn’t fill me up)
    gatorade (during labour for energy)
    Comfy undies
    Maternity pads( my hospital provided me with special pads so didnt have to use my own)

For baby- An outfit and blanket for when going home, baby hat, swaddle blanket, few nappies and baby wipes. hospital provided the first onesie, beanie, swaddle blanket and nappies. formula and bottles (if you are not breastfeeding)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.