2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Embracing ageing & Hollywood.

Hey Beauties,

I’ve recently read a few articles and watched a few YouTube segments interviewing women in their mid 40s- 60+ on Hollywood’s obsession with permanently looking 39 and how they have chosen to buck the trend.

Cameron Diaz doesn’t touch injectables and Andie MacDowell embraces her wonderful silver tresses; Justine Bateman has written a book on the subject and supermodel Paulina Porizkova gave a candid on camera interview on finally being heard and not seen vs being seen but not heard.

It’s incredibly refreshing to read and listen to these women. I’m not against cosmetic procedures but I love that I don’t have to fear ageing!

You can watch Paulina’s interview here.

37 comments 17 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

I guess there is a lot of pressure on celebrities to have cosmetic procedures, their career depends on their looks. I don’t agree with trends of people trying to look what I think look very unusual. Though I suppose each to his/her own.

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

Have been wanting to respond in here for ages, but with the error messages constantly flowing I haven’t been able to…so gonna shoot my shot now & do it while I can…

I’m not against anyone using cosmetic procedures to maintain their youth – if it makes you feel great, then you do you boo – but it’s not something I can see myself doing personally. I’ve watched way too many episodes of Botched to see what could go wrong with fillers, or even stuff like lipo, or a BBL, or a boob job. Besides, I’m largely happy with what I see in the mirror.

Does my skin look like that of a 37 year old? Yeah, it does. Some mornings I wake up & really notice the sides of my forehead looking textured & crinkly (skin in the middle is kinda taut thanks to my surgical scar from skin cancer removal) & the skin around my eyes (particularly my left one) also getting increasingly crinklier. I know I’m not getting any younger & I do try to preserve what I have via skincare, but I don’t believe I’m going to wake up overnight & look 20 again…although God I wish I did because I’d go back & tell my 20 year old self to wear the damn sunscreen or else!

Despite what’s happening on the outside, I know I definitely wouldn’t trade the level of personal wisdom that I have nowadays, as opposed to my 20 year old self. That’s one thing I’m grateful for when it comes to ageing.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I stopped dying my hair at the start of lockdown March last year and I am letting the little silver strands (or my sparkles as I like to call them) shine through. I think grey hair can look very chic.

But I am not opposed to a little bit of enhancement. I have had Botox a few times but not regularly and I really loved the effect. It was very subtle and I just looked very well rested! I have a very expressive face and quite deep wrinkles for my age, particularly on my forehead and it just nicely softened without taking away my expression. i would definitely get more often to maintain if I could afford it.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I love my silver hairs too! I wouldn’t mind trying botox on my face- I have it in my foot and the injections hurt!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Good for you, @Jess R! Long time, no see – it’s good to see you back around here.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Hi Misfortune8 🙂 I still lurk around but rarely comment in the forums these days. It’s taking me a bit to get used to the new site as every time I try to post on the forum or articles I keep getting error notifications.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I should note that I’ve also got a case of the Wil Wheaton Syndrome – won’t look like a fully fledged adult until I turn 50 haha!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Lucky cow, @rivetlicker! I reckon I’ve got the reverse: I got into pubs at 12 without being asked for ID. Once, a bloke I was chatting up asked me if I was married or had kids – I was 16!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

That is disturbing. Grown people need to leave kids alone, especially the ones that look “mature” for their age. They’re still children.

I’ve always looked immature, but the trends of kids not smoking cigarettes (because who can afford them anyway?!?!) or sunbathing (and it’s actually really trendy to wear sunscreen) are really improving how quickly we age. Can’t discount genetics though. Don’t think I’ll ever look like a real grown up until I’m 50, like Wil Wheaton lol!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Hmm – I just got an error message.”Error: are you sure you want to do that?” Well, if I didn’t want to do that, I wouldn’t have tried to post, would I?

I agree with your point, @rivetlicker. I probably shouldn’t have admitted to that.

I’ve always spoken like a 30-year old & looked mid-twenties, so (dare I say in their defence?) nobody would have guessed that I was younger.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

It really was a different time, but I’m glad we are able to hold adults accountable for their behaviour, rather than having children needing to modify their own.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I embraced natural years ago, lucky for me at 60 years of age I don’t have grey hair, only a few bits and pieces mainly seen if I lift my long hair up. I put it down to never dyeing my hair or using toxic products. I also believe it is my plant based diet with lots of anti-oxidants that help too. And no it is no my genes because both my mum and grandma went grey at my age. As for my skin that is another story, but I have come to accept sag bags under the eyes and my life experience wrinkles. Please don’t smoke my one regret because I would have less wrinkles if I never did in the past. Keep smiling because that is what people see the most.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I have an essay I want to post here (as usual), but it won’t let me!

It’s the patriarchy!!! (I’ll post my essay later…)

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

There is so much to unpack here.

I wish we weren’t so conditioned to shame people for doing too much or for doing too little. It’s enough that everything to do with beauty through time has had almost everything to do with the male gaze in mind, rather than for the individual’s own goals.

Change the narrative – you can love makeup, skincare, procedures etc or not at all, but it’s really for nobody else to decide except for you. You don’t have to like what someone is doing to themselves (cosmetically speaking), but going after someone’s appearance is always going to come down to what society told us to do.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

NB: I’m body neutral, I don’t believe I have to love or hate my body, or love or hate my ethnic facial features… I just accept that my fat and disabled body exists, my nose and eyes are explicitly Jewish, and I’m okay with everything. I don’t owe an explanation or need use euphemisms to describe it (I am fat and disabled, they are inherent parts of my identity), but I digress.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

It won’t let me post half the stuff I want to say… WHY?!?!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I’m pretty sure I posted a whole post in here about my stance on this topic last week & it appears to have fallen into the internet ether.

EDIT: Realised why – the frickin’ error message had come up, so I couldn’t post. Now I’ll try.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I’ve been getting a lot of comments not posting, but without error messages. Something’s wonkier than usual on the forum today.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Are keywords like “medical” causing it?

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Andie MacDowell looks like herself, unlike the others that have dabbled in injectables. I would be open to eyelid surgery. Only because my eyes are ridiculously puffy due to autoimmune disease.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I read an article today on ‘honey’ about Sarah Jessica Parker calling out her critics. She says she has a hard time dealing with social media because ‘everyone has something to say’ about the way she looks now.

I think she hits the nail on the head when she says:

“It almost feels as if people don’t want us to be perfectly okay with where we are, as if they almost enjoy us being pained by who we are today, whether we choose to age naturally and not look perfect, or whether you do something if that makes you feel better,” she added. “I know what I look like. I have no choice. What am I going to do about it? Stop aging? Disappear?”

Bravo to SJP for speaking out.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Do not care if people do cosmetic treatments. If this makes them feel amazing, yeah! Go for it!

Only do not support trends. Whatsoever! Some people made by entertainment industry get to be marketed and advertised in the social media and other media as “beauty” models. Like KK club, with puffy lips. And see more and more young girls here in Sydney having puffy lips. Same with backsides. And whatever is being marketed. Dismorfing one’s body to look like fake personas made by photoshops, all to lead towards industry’s interest (and we know what that is).

Ageing as in real sense…more years lived on this planet is best thing ever!!! Who gets to live extra day, year, decade etc…this is just magical, I am sooooo grateful for every day! To make things very easy and smooth while having fun on this plane of existence…I have chosen to live healthy (body, mind and spirit). So makes things smoooooth ride 💞

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I think it would be hard for some actors to accept aging as their career is based on their acting and often their looks. I can understand why some resort to cosmetic procedures and hunting for “miracle” products. I guess positive thinking would help like now that one is older it opens up new roles as in playing a parent or grandparent.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.