2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Help needed! Daughter’s fine hair is a tangled mess!

Hi Beauties,

I’m requesting help on behalf of my hubby and eight year old daughter.

My hubby does her hair every day and if not plaited, it ends up in an absolute tangled and knotty mess.

He uses two Fine and Fragile Tangle Teezers along with Bumble and Bumble Hairdressers’ Invisible Oil on her but while he is as gentle as he can be, he needs something that can reduce her tears!

Her hair is up to her bum and she is refusing to get it cut!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated! 🙏🏽 😊 😘

26 comments 13 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

I’ve lived all my life with fine curly hair. First, do not brush it. Get a wide tooth comb and only comb it. Second, conditioner is your best friend. I rarely shampoo my hair, usually only use conditioner as shampoo and conditioner. Leave in conditioners work well too. Good luck.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Try a silk pillow on her bed as that also helps hair not to get tangled and perhaps get her to brush her own hair first before your hubby takes over as she may be able to bear her own brushing

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Im just wondering if when he does her hair is he brushing from the scalp down?
    Start from the bottom and brush the ends of the hair first and then move up an inch or two and brush to the ends again and keep doing this until you reach the scalp and can brush all the way to the ends without issue.

Hope that makes sense

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Hi there Meedee,

He has very curly hair so understands the struggle! He does use the Tangle Teezers starting at the bottom and working his way up in sections.

I’m thinking at this stage, she’s due for a cut!

Thanks for your suggestions! 🙏🏽 😊

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

My 3 year old daughters hair isn’t as long but half way down her back and is also fine and knots if I don’t plait it. I’ve tried sprays, oils, brushes cheap and expensive at the moment after her bath I spray the trolls Palmolive detangler spray in it then plait it then in the morning I give it another spray before replaiting again. I’m sure that the bottle being pink and the trolls on the bottle helps her mind over matter even if just the tiniest bit.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Hi Ali85,

My hubby has found that plaiting does work but I think at this point, she really needs a haircut!

I will try a silk pillowcase and see how she goes with it!

🙏🏽 😊

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Johnsons make a spray called No More Tears which I used in my daughters hair when she was younger. She would cry every morning when I brushed her hair and I found this helped.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Get a tangle teaser type brush and a good leave in conditioner!

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

We use two Tangle Teezers on her and Bumble and Bumble Hairdressers’ Invisible Oil.

Do you have any suggestions for conditioner?

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Oh Lucy I feel for your daughter!

I’m also a fine haired gal (got lots of it though) & have had plenty of moments where my hair has become knotty AF & difficult to comb out. My mum always regales people with stories of having to literally cut knots out of my hair when I was younger because they were so stubborn to remove.

Unfortunately I can’t really give much advice other than (a) find a great detangling product as well as a detangling brush (highly recommend The Wet Brush range of brushes, they’re pretty good) & (b) convince your daughter to get a haircut. I’m well overdue for a haircut myself (will be getting that + a fresh dye job next week HOORAY) & I know that’s why my hair has been so knotty lately.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Thanks Seashells,

I’m going to convince her to get a cut next week, she needs one!

My hubby is currently using the Fine and Fragile Tangle Teezers on her and Bumble and Bumble Hairdressers’ Invisible Oil.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

I have very fine and tangle-prone hair and being a mum I also understand your dilemma!

Kerastase Gold Ultime lasts forever and works like a dream to detangle and smooth my hair. It only needs to be used exceedingly sparingly and I focus on the ends and lengths and not the roots (as it is an oil). Gee it’s a beautiful product though and really helps with the tangles. It has also won a Glosscar here on bh in the past. : )

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Thanks CCW!

I’m off to explore and buy this product! 😊 😘

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

It’s actually called Kerastase Elixer Ultime – sorry about that – but it does look gold in colour. I also notice that there is another product that looks similar and is specifically for fine hair. The Elixer Ultime that I am talking about has an incredibly beautiful scent too – I love it! It’s addictive in itself. I’ve bought a bottle of this for each of my daughters too and they all have different types of hair but they all have fine hair (one is curly, one is dead straight like me and the other is extremely fine and has a slight wave but it mostly looks straight). : ) Enjoy!!

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Thanks CCW! 😘

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Your welcome Lucy! : D

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

First get a good chop to get rid of the dead, dry and damaged ends.
    After that, start fresh with the healthy hair.

– Loreal and garnier do some great leave in hair masks. After shampoo and conditioning, apply it liberally to the mids and ends, wrap in an old t-shirt or cotton rag and allow it to dry over night.

– Use lots of sun protection measures too like wearing a cap etc to prevent sun damage

– try a coconut oil massage into the scalp/mids/lengths once a week or so

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Thanks J-Fernny!

I think she’s definitely due for a cut, As she has curly hair, we already employ the t-shirt method. I’ll be doing an Indian scalp massage on her too! Thanks 🙏🏽 😊

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Hi Hayley,

Thanks for the suggestion, it’s been a while but I used to perform Indian scalp massages on her using coconut oil, almond oil, neem and cocoa butter! Might try it again. 🙏🏽 😊

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.