11 yrs, 9 mths ago

Help! My dog swallowed a bone!

I know this is far from beauty related but my 1 year old Kelpie just swallowed a cooked chop bone around 3 cm long. She is her normal self at the moment but I’m not sure if I should panic? Has anyone else had this happen?

28 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I’ve reported LiliaParker2313 above as spam.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

For 3 years my dog ​​Jack has been living with me, he always loved to eat delicious food, especially what you can’t eat or it is not edible at all. I once bought myself a packet of Oreo cookies and left them on the table. My dog, without hesitation for a long time, ran to try what kind of yummy I brought. Upon my return, I noticed that the pack was already on the floor, and not on the table and there were a couple of fewer cookies. At first, I laughed at how gluttonous my dog ​​is, but soon I got scared if these cookies would harm his body. I also went online and came across the blog what happens if your dog eats oreos . After reading it, I was relieved to go for a walk with my dog, because nothing bad was supposed to happen, but in the future, it is better to avoid such situations.

• 11 yrs, 8 mths ago

Thought I’d check in with an update! My girl is fine! It been a bit over a week and she is completely normal.

• 11 yrs, 9 mths ago

Glad to hear that she’s doing OK so far.

• 11 yrs, 9 mths ago

poor thing! yes call the vet asap!!!! good luck and please keep us updated 🙂

• 11 yrs, 9 mths ago

Don not worry, It will be ok.<3

• 11 yrs, 9 mths ago

Late last year one of my labradors swallowed the rest of her bone…and she was clearly uncomfortable and having breathing problems. We called the vet, who luckily were open at the time (otherwise they do actually have a message on their voicemail on whom to contact out of hours) – so we went there, and they had to sedate her to take xrays, and we were told that it was quite large and in a very bad spot…..they first wanted to try to pull it out through her mouth, as they said that if they couldnt, they had to operate, and the prospects didnt look good…
    They called the animal hospital to get them to be on alert and ready if they had to take her in, and lucky they were quiet, so the vet there came around to help out vet get the bone out…..and phew, they did!!! And we were so lucky to be able to take her home an hour later….a very sleepy dog. We were told we were sooooo lucky. All up it ended up costing us over $800. The wait while they tried to get it out was just the worst, I was such a mess!

Labradors are not very nice eathers, so since then they have not had a bone (which they always used to every weekend), not even pigs ear, as especially one of them doesnt chew it properly. Lesson definitely learnt!!!

And I agree, with the comment above….NEVER EVER give you dog cooked bones as they splinter – they always have to be raw!! The grind down the raw bones which is fine. We used to get some very big bones from the butcher, and after an hour or so when the dogs were getting tired from chewing we’d simply take them and throw then away before they got too small for them.

Good to hear that your dog is feeling better.

• 11 yrs, 9 mths ago

Normally she likes to chew the left over meat off the cooked bones and has bit of a chew on them then levea them never in my wildest dreams would I have thought she would swallow one whole! I suspect that she eats raw bones because there doesn’t ever seem to much left in the yard of the big soup bones I buy her. Talk about give me a fright!

• 11 yrs, 9 mths ago

I hope your dog is ok, my dog managed to get a piece of cooked bone wedged in the roof of her mouth between her teeth, we spent hour at the vet while they tried and carefully pulled it out. we then got the long lecture that cook bones are a defined no no!! Hope everything is ok 🙂

• 11 yrs, 9 mths ago

Ok so this morning I let the dog inside an she seems to be her normal playful self, which is a releaf. I called the vet and they asked if she was vomiting, refusing to eat, or seemed to be in any discomfort etc. When I told them no, they just told me to keep an eye on her for a week and if her behaviour changes then to bring her in.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.