16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Going from black to blonde hair

I have naturally sandy blonde hair but have been dying my hair black for so many years.
My re-growth is coming through and I haven’t bothered dying my hair for a year or so.
I’m getting rather impatient waiting for it to grow out to a decent length so I can be totally blonde and my hairdresser wont touch it at the moment.
Any ideas on how to fade the black a bit or perhaps some sort of foils or something to break the black up a bit?
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks in advance.

9 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 15 yrs, 8 mths ago

I went from blonde to dark brown and back to blonde again. i used foils and gradually litened it back up to the shade i have now with out a problem and it really healthy.Find a hairdresser you trust and stick with her it took me about 6 months to be really fair again but i feel if you rush it you will end up with damaged most likley orange toned hair

• 15 yrs, 8 mths ago

I have natural blonde hair also and I died it darker for about 5 years! after being sick of the dark I decided I wanted to go blonde again, I went to my usual hairdresser at the time and she suggested a bleach bath!!! I was a bit worried about this idea and told her not to worry!! I went to another hair dresser, with alot more experience and she suggested using a tipping cap, so I could gradually lighten my hair, after she used the tipping cap, my regrowth was blonde and the rest of the tipped hair was orange, but it only took one more time with the tipping cap then I was able to have foils, I started off with just the half head, and now I still have the `splice` look with the blonde on top and dark underneath! but it was a slow, embarassing process!

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Ok, I am a brunette who fluctuates between blonde, dark brown/black and red and I am telling you that dark to light CAN be done. It should just be subtle at first.

See if your hairdresser would be ok with taking your whole head a few shades lighter and breaking it up with foils. If she isn`t, then ask friends whose hair you like who they get their hair done by and see someone else.

I was once in a salon going from dark brown/black (previously red before that) to blonde. It took 5 hours, but it worked! not even any orange. It CAN work. You just need a good hairdresser/colourist.

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

I think having foils put in would be the safest or just hang in there untill it grows out. Maybe get big sections done with foils and it should hide alot of the multicolour

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Yeah I thought bout the stripper but was also told its probably not the best thing to do.
    My hair is really light at the back and mainly dark towards the roots. It`s an awful looking colour lol very multi-coloured with red, blonde, black and brown EWW!
    I`ll check with my hairdresser before doing anything that may stuff my hair up completely.
    Thanks ladies!

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

I`ve heard of how you can have your hair colour stripped back to its natural colour – I`ve been told it`s really damaging – but to be honest I don`t know a lot about it. Again I`d be talking to a hairdresser coz it`s such a dramatic colour change! Bexie`s right – you may have to do it step by step, gradually lightening it til it`s blonde again?

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Would a hair stripper work (lol thats sounds weird) i think you can get the colour stripped from the hairdresser or buy a kit from priceline, if not u may mave to do it gradually from blavk to cark brown, to medium brown to light brown etc
    going straight from black til blonde would prob equal orange pus blonde colour
    good luck

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Thanks for the reply!
    I didn`t think it was going to be an easy process, I`m just sick of looking a bit silly with half and half lol.
    I did get told by my hairdresser that foils might be able to break down the black a bit so I might have to go back and see what else she can suggest.
    Thanks again for the response.

• 16 yrs, 1 mth ago

Hi Cass – I`m afraid I don`t have any good news for you – I`m a natural blonde, but used to get the underneath of my hair dyed dark brown to have the two tone look – unfortunately the hairdresser who did it for me `forgot` that I only wanted dark brown – not black – and dyed it jet black! Needless to say, I didn`t go back to her, but it`s been over 2 years since I`ve seen her and I`m still growing it out… I did go to my hairdresser after being fed up with it after about 6 months, they bleached and used toner, and it still ended up slightly orange, but bearable seeing as it was only the section underneath. However after doing that twice they said if they put any more bleach in my hair would snap off! So I let it grow out for another year, and then had foils put through it and it`s almost all gone thru a combination of it growing out (and having it cut) and having the foils.

It`s EXTREMELY difficult to get black hair blonde – I`m not sure how it would work going to brunette then to blonde? That may be the way to go I`m not too sure? Just make sure you go to a good hairdresser – don`t try and DIY!! Hope this helped!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.