kylie77
Bronze
Kylie77
Founding Member
14 yrs, 6 mths ago

Fluride in water!

I think we should have fluoride in the water here in QLD. As a kid I grew up in a place that had it. ANd i feel for my nephews who don’t. My teeth have always been looked after and they are still crap. Funny thing about our teeth. Most people put them last on the list to fix, maintain and look after. I wish i had my great teeth back again 🙁

39 comments 32 voices

Replies

• KassaleePlatinumKassalee
    Platinum
    8 yrs, 7 mths ago

Glad I`m not the only one a little annoyed with Brett567 – hence my post in support of fluoride!

And I too thought of reporting them as spam, but couldn`t be bothered – would rather get those page long movie spammers off the forums – anyway, they`re now gone, so thank you to whoever reported their post!

• 8 yrs, 7 mths ago

Bugger off Brett567, we want none of your sales driven agenda here!

Ha Cathy you crack me up. Go Cathy Go!!!!!

In the interest of full disclosure I do work for the school of dentistry at a university, one part of which has spent the last 3 years wasting hours and hours of staff time in answering freedom of information requests from the anti-fluoride league that could have been otherwise spent on research into improving people`s oral health. Like the vaccination/autism myth it makes me so angry when people choose to ignore properly conducted scientific studies which have proved the safety of treatment. It makes me angrier when people peddle crackpot ideas to make a quick buck.

• 8 yrs, 7 mths ago

Haha, yes! I thought of responding but then thought it isn`t worth it so I just reported it. Funny how water filters don`t even remove fluoride, you need to use reverse osmosis which actually makes the water devoid of any minerals (even good ones) and can be unhealthy – thus why we don`t drink demineralised water.

• 8 yrs, 7 mths ago

Ha Cathy you crack me up. Go Cathy Go!!!!!

• 8 yrs, 7 mths ago

• KassaleePlatinumKassalee
    Platinum
    8 yrs, 7 mths ago

My parents grew up without the benefit of fluoride – my dad has terrible teeth and my mum has always had dentures. I also grew up in the country on a farm with tank water (no fluoride) and sugar products were rare in my diet, but I managed to have many amalgam fillings (at least 8) by the visiting school dentist by the age of 10. We then moved into town (with fluoride in the water) and barely had another filling.
    My own 3 children (17-20 yrs) have only known water with fluoride and even on their diet (certainly far more sugar than I was ever subjected to) they`ve never had fillings due to dental decay.
    Fluoride is MY friend!

• vainpotPlatinumVainpot
    Platinum
    12 yrs, 9 mths ago

Fluoride is good stuff! It`s no more a `chemical` than, say, calcium. Fluoride is an ion, which gets incorporated in the enamel in your teeth. This makes your teeth stronger – more resistant to decay and acid erosion. Large amounts of fluoride (10 or more mg per day, less for kids) can cause bone effects (skeletal fluorosis) in the long term. But to get 10mg of fluoride, one would have to drink 10 litres of water! As for `white flecks`, yes these can be caused by overintake of fluoride in children when their teeth are forming. It`s called dental fluorosis. Doesn`t happen if fluoride is taken after teeth finish forming, though. So the only people who are kind of at risk are kids under age 8 or so. And even that`s not from fluoride in tap water. It`s more an issue with toothpaste. So parents should follow fluoride guidelines!

• BidePlatinumBide
    Platinum
    12 yrs, 9 mths ago

bq. (An interesting fact to point out is all water is recycled – it`s nature`s way! Having said that, the thought of drinking recycled sewerage water really grosses me out)

argh yes. I do not like the thought of drinking other people`s bodily fluids and waste. Last time I was in Singapore they were selling recycled bottled water… when I found out I read all the labels bit by bit!

I don`t really see a problem with flouride in the water. It does make your teeth stronger, and helps keep them from chipping. While tooth death is usually painless because of the flouride, it unfortunately means that some people can go to the dentist with a chip in their tooth thinking it will filled in, and end up getting it removed because it died from the inside, but flouride made it look strong on the outside.

• Girl789PlatinumGirl789
    Platinum
    12 yrs, 9 mths ago

My town water supply is having Flouride added as of tomorrow. I am totally against flouride in water due to all of the side-effects. People should use flouride toothpaste if they feel that they need it for healthy teeth, rather than forcing flouride on a whole community.

• jennrachPlatinumJennrach
    Founding Member
    Platinum
    13 yrs, 5 mths ago

I agree make-up mad..sugary foods and lack o teeth cleaning must have a big impact. If you check your toothpaste many of them contain fluoride as it is (every colgate toothpaste I have tried does). I`m also weary as to what effects it will have on your body as you age…it has been linked to osteoporosis and other health issues!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.