3 yrs, 9 mths ago

Dry and flaky skin routine

My skin is suffering this winter, its dry, red and flaky. This is my current routine.

The products i currents use in the AM are:
Micellar water
Olay eye cream
La roche posay vitamic c
Dermaveen eczema lotion moisturiser

PM:
QV cleanser
The ordinary hyaluronic acid
Neutrogena hydro boost night cream

Any suggestions on what to add?

8 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 9 mths ago
    1. Take out the micellar water and replace it with an oil-based cleanser or a hydrating/cream cleanser. Not sure that QV cleanser is actually doing you any favours. It’s a mild foaming cleanser for dry and sensitive skin but it’s still a foaming cleanser – these are typically more suitable for oily/combination skin types. Switch to hydrating/creamy cleanser. For example, Trilogy Cream Cleanser (available at Priceline and Chemist Warehouse). Ideally, use the same cleanser for both day and night. There’s no reason why they should be different. Consistency is the key to see positive results.

2. Add a hydrating toner before moving on to vitamin C in the mornings and at night after cleansing. A mist can also do for a hydrating toner. Speaking of which, always apply water to skin or dampen it with a toner/mist before you apply hyaluronic acid or it will suck moisture out of your skin, basically the reverse of what you want. For example, Bioderma Hydrabio Tonic Lotion or Avène Thermal Spring Water (both available at Priceline and Chemist Warehouse).

3. Switch to an oil with moisturiser/cream at night. For example, The Ordinary Marula Oil. Importantly, moisturisers are not effective if you have not preceded the moisturiser with hydrating ingredients to “water” the skin. Moisturisers/creams are just lids to keep the water from spilling. Your skin is the glass that holds the water together. Introduce a serum with hydrating properties not just hyaluronic acid. For example, Avène Hydrance Optimale Rehydrating Serum.

4. This is totally optional. Use a sheet mask 2 times a week after toner and before serums. Sheet masks are intended to boost hydration. For example, Garnier Skin Active Nutribomb Milky Tissue Masks (both types are good and are available at Priceline and Chemist Warehouse).

5. Importantly, the most important, I see no mention of SPF in your day routine. The number one factor that ages skin faster than anything else is exposure to the sun. Apply sunscreen SPF50+ if long exposure outdoors or SPF30+ if you’re indoors most of the time. If you are near a window a lot of the time, SPF50+ because UV-A rays penetrate windows. For example, Mecca Cosmetica To Save Face SPF50+ Superscreen Oxybenzone Free Formula (i.e. the black one).

Hope that helps and good luck! Happy to answer any questions.

• 2 yrs, 9 mths ago

Members please don’t click on the blue link in Taleeha-Akhtar’s above post. Marked as spam.

• 3 yrs, 9 mths ago

I’d use a cream or oil cleanser. Antipodes is on sale atm. Andalou Quenching range (blue) might also be a good match for you, also 40% off at Priceline currently.

• 3 yrs, 9 mths ago

Thank you everyone!

• 3 yrs, 9 mths ago

Hello, Adelina

I think you should use the Vaseline Calming Lavender Body Lotion. The dry, winter air wreaks havoc on your skin, causing flaking, scaling, peeling and redness.This body lotion calms dry irritated skin, leaving it soft, supple and smelling ah-mazing! And the best part is that this body lotion promises to keep your skin moisturised for 24 hours.
    And help you get rid of dead or damaged skin cells. So i recommended this body lotion.

• 3 yrs, 9 mths ago

I agree with Lisa359, a facial oil (like Rosehip or Squalene) could help your dry skin a lot, topped off with an occlusive moisturiser. From memory the Neutrogena hydroboost night cream has a pretty thin consistency so I would add or substitute a heavier/thicker moisturiser. There is also the possibility that the hyaluronic acid is drawing water from you skin if there isn’t enough moisture. This is pretty unlikely since you’re applying the hydro boost cream after but you could spray a toner after the hyaluronic acid to make absolutely sure.

• 3 yrs, 9 mths ago

Oil? I like to use Rosehip oil on my skin at night in the winter, before moisturiser.

• 3 yrs, 9 mths ago

You could try using Weleda Skin Food on dry areas such as ankles and backs of legs and it is great for using as a hand cream.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.