1 yr, 10 mths ago

DNA Tests

I want to know if anyone has done a modern DNA test from one of these websites like CircleDNA. I’m so interested in doing this and I’d LOVE to hear about them and if you had a good experience or other with it.

I’d also just love to hear your opinion on them too or if you’ve thought about doing one too like me?

32 comments 12 voices

Replies

• 1 yr, 8 mths ago

So interesting, Clearcrystal. Did they tell you health guidance and everything as well?

• 1 yr, 8 mths ago

Hi Gilliey – it covered pretty much everything but my test results were based more on health checks (loads of them) i.e. like if I had the breast cancer gene or not – etc. Thankfully I don’t and didn’t have other cancer genes. They don’t claim that genetics is everything, instead they say that genes is in the ‘gun’ but it can be the environment that pulls the trigger.

There was also a page of ancestry but it focussed more on genetic health issues and some other fun stuff too like if I was prone to sunburn, if I had a sweet tooth etc but I loved more the health chromosonal side as this is important for me to know for my future health.

• 1 yr, 8 mths ago

Thankyou ClearCrystal, so amazing! I always thought it was just to find your ancestry. I replied before but I think it disappeared.

• 1 yr, 8 mths ago

The one I did was more about ethnicity and family origins, which is what I wanted. It has a few fun facts, like I am less likely to enjoy asparagus and trivial things. It’s good there are different companies that cater for specific points of interest.

• 1 yr, 8 mths ago

Yes so true! – my daughters wanted more fun facts so they went with a different company to the one me and my husband did.

• 1 yr, 8 mths ago

For anyone who was wondering, I got my results back last night and it’s amazing! Yes I have ancestry from where I knew but also way back, way way back like 100 generations I have an explanation for my yellow toned skin that doesn’t burn. I suspected some love affair had occurred but it had never been confirmed until now! 🙂 I love finding all this out and I also have lots of health guidance, some of which I knew already i.e. like I shouldn’t eat red meats personally because they are not good for me personally, and I am vegan for that reason but now I know exactly why – I have a chromosonal mutation on one chromosome that makes it impossible for me to rid iron out of my body and it just builds up and up and that is very dangerous. So now I know why! I’m not pescatarian for nothing afterall. There is so much more too but it will take a while to read through everything!

• 1 yr, 8 mths ago

That’s interesting – I’m curious if I’ve got anything but Celt in me.

The health insights it gives can be a lifesaver.

• 1 yr, 9 mths ago

I did one through Ancestry years ago as I was fascinated to know my family background since none of my grandparents are alive anymore & I can’t ask questions of them. Turns out I’m nothing interesting, but it was still a good exercise. I do understand people’s concerns regarding data etc, but I guess I wasn’t so bothered as to not do the test. 🤷‍♀️

• 1 yr, 9 mths ago

thanks seashells! 🙂 yeah I can understand your questions since your situation was like that — I have send my ‘test tube’ sample back to the company today so I’m super excited to receive the results! Hubby did one too.

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

I have had it done but my post is not showing. I had it done through 23@Me but I think if you want to put a family tree together then Ancestry might be better.

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

Sounds cool Lisa – would have loved to have read your post! My daughters wanted it done so I ordered the LivingDNA ones last night for them. I’m going to do CircleDNA I think with my hubby because it focusses mainly on health.

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

My reply won’t post.

image host

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

Wowww! That’s amazing for her! 🙂

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

@Misfortune8 So I have been testing this out a bit but it seems to let me post if I keep my responses short most of the time. I always copy my response before posting so if it disappears I just have another go again. Other times I separate what I suspect is the offending word l i k e t h i s.

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

Yes I’ve noticed when I put more effort in to a longer post the website doesn’t like it and sends it into the void. If I keep it really short, it gets posted….most of the time

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

My son did one through Ancestry. I had my doubts it would be accurate but it linked him to being related to my cousin and Ancestry had know way of knowing this. It also breaks down the percentages of your ethnicity and it picked up correct countries of my son’s origins and some we didn’t know about.

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

What does snap and double snap mean? I’ve been living under a rock

edit: ah, I think I may have worked it out! ;D

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

I just put in a heartfelt reply but it disappeared into the never never.

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

Double snap. I also know someone who did DNA testing and they also have knowledge of their father (unknown previously), have contacted one of their sisters (unfortunately who did not welcome the news) and a second sister, who bonded so well from first contact. They look so similar also. How good is it to feel so lost then find one’s real identity! Good luck!

• 1 yr, 10 mths ago

Snap! I know of someone who did their DNA through Ancestory.com they have just met up with a half sibling that they never knew existed.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.