2 yrs, 6 mths ago

Contact dermatitis sunscreen

I like to do the right thing and wear a sunscreen daily. I usually have a warm shower before putting it on. Lately, I have been getting contact dermatitis around my eyes. Think red and scaly. It is a chemical sunscreen. I’ve not had this problem before. I will discontinue use and find another brand for face only. Has anyone else had this problem?

9 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

I have really sensitive eyes and the only sunscreen I can use is La Roche Posay Anthelios.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

I recently trialled the Dermaveen sunscreen with colloidal oatmeal and my skin loves it!

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

I have a tube of La Roche Posey. I love it but it’s so expensive. Especially for everyday wear. I’ve got a tube of sensitive sunscreen, from the supermarket. It’s okay but very thick. The La Roche Posey is thin and fluid. I guess I have to try and a few out on my face.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

I use olay complete defence on my face it is a moisturiser but has an SPF30+, it is also available in a sensitive and fragrance free version.
    Always use this when I travel and am outside all day, have never been burnt using it, highly recommend it.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

I’ve had one reaction to a sunscreen before. It was developed. I didn’t have any issue until I went into the second tube. However I would never be able to work out whether it was the sunscreen ingredient or simply one of the other ancillary ingredients. I do not normally have reactions to susncreen.

Have you checked expiry date? I know that expired sunscreens make my face itchy!

Just on the safe side, you can check out physical sunscreens instead. Chemical sunscreens are more likely to trigger reactions than physical sunscreens. I have never used chemical sunscreen on my daughter and I am also looking to swap to physical sunscreens myself.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

I’ve had issues with clogged pores and breakouts with both natural and not natural sunscreens… but never dermatitis.

I use Aveda and love it. No sunscreen smell, no problems. Then I put Nude by Nature mineral powder over the top for extra protection and to reduce the shine.

However yes, definitely check the ingredients and maybe get some samples to try. I found a lot of chemists give out free samples. Especially La Roche Posey!

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

I did experience a reaction to sunscreen (an itchy rash) back in my mid-20s and switched to sensitive skin types of sunscreen. Years later I gave regular sunscreens another try and no reaction at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

It could very well be that you are sensitive to chemical sunscreens or a ingredient in that specific sunscreen. I personally prefer zinc based sunscreens and love the Ultra Violette sunscreen range. I use the one with the purple lid and haven’t experienced any adverse reactions. Sephora sell the brand, you may be able to request some samples? They have other sunscreens too that you may prefer.

• 2 yrs, 6 mths ago

BUMP!

I can’t help you, perthchick, my skin is pretty tough.

Anyone?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.