2 yrs, 7 mths ago

Beauty Journal!

Hey Guys!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone keep a beauty journal or planner or tracker, to track your beauty products expirys, and to keep a routine?? This maybe in form of an actual book or even a spreadsheet.

18 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I don’t keep a beauty journal as such but I have an excel spreadsheet to keep on top of my reviews, what I’ve done what I still can do. I discovered recently that I can save a “hyperlink” to each cell. I usually type “done” to indicated I’ve submitted the review but I’m waiting for it to be approved then when its approved I change “done” to my star rating and when I submitted it. I’ve still got lots of tidying up to do but eventually I’d like to be able to sort by star rating etc.

The hyperlink means I can quickly find my review without having to search through pages of it.

I’ve had to edit out one of my products as I realised its an embargo trial. Whoops!

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

My system is the laundry cupboard, haha! I wait for sale time to buy almost anything: sometimes I buy multiples. I put the newest items at the back, but I check their expiry dates because sometimes the new items expire before the older ones.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I look at my Excels on an almost daily basis lately because I am getting through products fairly quickly so have been updating the data. Also have purchased a lot of new items. It can be tedious for most but I really enjoy this level of organisation.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

Ooookkkkkaaayyyy – .we are on opposite ends of the `conscientious` curve. I find details and organisation tedious as it messes with my `process` aka messy right brained lateral creative thinking. I admire organised people. Give me a spreadsheet and a little part of me dies. I`m not very balanced in this area. You would be horrified with my beauty product organisation which is nil. The good thing is I keep rediscovering things I have misplaced or forgotten about and it`s like ` Hello you – you are new and exciting again I`ll use you for awhile.` Until I misplace place it and the process begins again…

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I am not all there yet. I do still find things and go query why I bought more than two of them. Every time there is a purchase or a new item, I have to update the data or this happens. It does help with overbuying because when I think I don`t have something, the Excel keeps me in check. I ended up with 4 Lano moisturisers at one stage pre-Excel. I am not having that happen again.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

Ha ha ha – I multi buy favourites when on sale/special too but as I overall don`t have much I just shove them in the same cupboard/ plastic storage box and then when I finish something go for a rummage for the next one.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I`m the same, my bathroom cupboard is overflowing with things. Need to do some culling really.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I just have a Google Doc to keep track of my unopened skincare products with either expiry date/manufacture date or purchase date, broken into categories and functions (e.g. separate section for anti-aging, brightening, pore control, antioxidants etc

I just found it necessary so that I used up what’s closest to expiry first. Korean skincare is great – they always have either an expiry date or manufacture date.

I also have a separate doc for make-up, but those only have purchase dates. Having a lot of trouble using up lipstick with all the mask-wearing.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I think I might need to create a google doc to keep track of my products.

With this google doc, how often do you look at it? Eg once a month, every 6 months?

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I look at it almost every week as I update it when I get samples or get something delivered, or when I`m about to run out of something and want to decide what to open next 😛

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I have been meaning to switch over my data to Google Docs actually. Then I can work on it on the go!

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

Yeah it`s easier to have it in a central place. You can probably convert your spreadsheets to Google Sheets.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

Ethelinde That’s impressive!

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I am not that organized. It sounds like an excellent idea but I know I would not keep it up.

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I keep a journal in general, not a pour your heart out , kind of journal, just very basic stuff, and I will make a note in that of things that are ‘beauty related’ I suppose. Things like – started new hair treatment, tinted my brows, washed with x shampoo etc…

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

I keep Excel spreadsheets: one for skincare product quantities, another to track individual skincare product reviews, and a third for haircare. I was thinking of starting one for cosmetics. They are also all colour coded according to a key system.

The spreadsheets have columns for category (e.g. cleanser, serum, etc.), brand, product title, size (e.g. sample, mini or full), date of expiry, price (or whether they were gifted by a brand, BH, etc.), and status (e.g. unopened, finished, re-gifted, expired, etc.).

At one stage I also had an Excel for my full day and night routine but I have little time to upkeep that and mostly know my routine off by heart and know which items to switch in and out.

I am not an influencer, content creator or blogger, etc. but outside of BH and BC, I get sent products directly from some brands and e-commerce sites in exchange for honest reviews and have been at this as a hobby for over a decade since my uni days when I was too poor to purchase beauty products. Stuff piles up really quickly and my desk often resembles what I think a beauty editor’s desk can look like sometimes. Most of my products are kept in what I like to call my “skincare closet”. An organisation system like this is absolutely essential for me. I also maintain similar lists for work. I highly recommend Trello!

• 2 yrs, 7 mths ago

Wow not since I stopped being a professional make up artist. I tend to check my products and can tell if something is off by product separation, smell and changes in texture. Of course anything with SPF it is important to be diligent about expiry dates. When I worked in makeup, my kit would have to be replenished and products replaced. Lists we’re needed for new jobs that reqkekeupuired a certain shade/tone especially in foundation. A running list of basics and universal neutrals needed to shop for etc. I know a lot of people that work in drag or do their own stage/performance makeup are super organised with their kits. Not me anymore.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.