1 year, 5 months ago

Are there options for recycling beauty product packaging regardless of brand?

Ever since L’Oreal stopped their Terracycle Beauty Products Recycling Program mid 2019, I have not seen any other similar recycling program out there.

I know that some brands like L’Occitane, Body Shop, Innisfree to have their own recycling programs but only for their own products.

Just wanting to ask you beauties if you know of any other recyling program? Thanks.

18 comments 16 voices

Replies

• 2 months ago

I asked at Priceline & they accept blister packs!

I took some recycling to Priceline the other day. There’s a crate in the store where you tip your beauty recycling, then scan a QR code. I don’t have a smartphone (yes, I know – I’m a Luddite!) & the staff didn’t know how to add the points because it’s a new scheme. I emailed Priceline about it earlier today. I intend to make multiple deposits in the future & I want to know what to do. I’ll update here when I receive a reply.

• 2 months, 3 wks ago

Priceline have started a Terracyle program for makeup empties only. Bonus – 50 sisterclub points once per month.

• 2 months, 3 wks ago
  • 3 months, 1 w ago

Will be defenatly going to Priceline if this happens. Also Chemist warehouse.

• 3 months, 3 wks ago

Also banish – get a $15 voucher to spend online https://banish.com.au/pages/recycling-program

• 4 months ago

I saw Chemist Warehouse recently collaborated with TerraCycle to recycle old Gillette and Venus razor handles but this appears to have been a very brief collaboration.

• 4 months ago

TerraCycle is still a business and the recycling programs are funded by companies. It isn’t simply a matter of collaborating with TerraCycle – they are paid to handle the recycling program on behalf of a brand/company. I imagine that companies would need to budget for that. I think it’s a good initiative but it’s certainly not as simple to engage in as the average consumer would think.

You need to remember that Priceline and CW are franchises. You should be appealing to the franchise group company if you want to be heard. To have the impact you want, you need to identify and approach the C-suite level people behind the decision-making of all the franchises. LinkedIn makes it easier for you to search for some of them. I can otherwise tell you that CW is essentially headed up by two very rich and reclusive individuals.

• 4 months, 1 w ago

You actually have a lot more options now!

This is good and all but we need to be more vocal. How can Priceline and Chemist Warehouse, our biggest beauty and medication distributors, not be partnering with Terracycle?

Let them know we want it. Comment on their socials, write in to their head office.

We can’t just speak with our wallets anymore.

• 8 months, 1 w ago

Wow, thanks for the tip M8. Lots of options for recycling various bits and pieces at https://www.terracycle.com/en-AU/brigades

• 9 months, 2 wks ago

Those TerraCycle $200 boxes are ridiculously expensive.

I’ve been saving all of the hair products that won’t go into my recycling bin to send off to TerraCycle for free. It’s a Schwarzkopf plan, but they accept all brands of empty hair colour, hair care & styling products.

There are a couple of places near me that accept empty dental product containers: toothpaste tubes, floss containers, used toothbrushes & electric toothbrush heads. I found their locations on the TerraCycle website. I haven’t made a drop-off yet.

New initiatives start all the time, so I’ve been saving other empty skincare containers for when that happens. I figure it’s only a matter of time.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.