6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Advice wanted for soon-to-be New Mum

Hi everyone!

I really wanted everyone’s advice for me since I am going to be a new mum soon.

My first one!

I’ve been getting lots of advice from other people (quite often unwanted) and it’s been stressing me out! These things are like daily exercises to have bladder control (my mum says unnecessary), taking the pregnancy vitamins (but I’ve had morning sickness and is eating significantly less and throwing up a lot of it so I’ve chosen not to take Elevit because I feel worse after taking it – even though I’m not taking the whole tablet in a day), pressure to come back to work full-time (which I quite often work 12 hours a day).

If anyone can offer their experience on pregnancy or soon-to-be mum or the things I’ve mentioned above that is stressing me out – I would really appreciate it!!

Love Elly

29 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 6 yrs, 5 mths ago

How’s the morning sickness going now Elly? – I hope you are in the minority that it doesn’t linger for longer than 4 months.

• 2 yrs, 10 mths ago

Just reading this now! It did last for for months!

I really appreciated everyone’s advice. I had no clue!

• 6 yrs, 5 mths ago

Congratulations Elly. I hope everything is going well.

Pelvic floor exercises are very important. You’re mum is very lucky if she survived in tact without them. But the first time I peed myself when my boy was a couple of weeks old I realised I should have taken them a bit more seriously.

Morning sickness is evil. Just do the best you can. I have a mental map of all the places I spewed while pregnant. Instead of a full pregnancy supplement try just a folic acid one. They are really small. It was all I could manage.

After bubs comes just listen to your instincts and do what works for you. All babies are different and all kids are different. If that baby is fed and not left in wet and dirty nappies all day long then for the first few months you’re winning. Everything else is just gravy.

Good luck and keep us updated on how things are going.

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

congrats, it’s such an exciting time.
    People will always have an opinion on everything you do. You can choose to ignore or use it (if you think it will help). Just go with your gut instinct, it’s what I tend to try to become in tune to. Morning sickness was terrible for me too, people have remedies and kept telling me it would end after the first trimester (and they were wrong). All i did was trial and error finding food that I could keep down. I had a pattern so that kind of helped me to eat something. But of course it’s different for everyone. Main point, is keep hydrated. Hydralyte was a saviour for me

I took the Swisse pregnancy vitamins, they were the ones with the lowest iron count (i had an iron overload problem). Just find one which works, tends to be the elevit is more recommended because it’s highly advertised, there’s others around such as Blackmores as well. If you can’t keep anything down then really you can’t keep anything down, so even if you took a vitamin it might not be working anyhow. Maybe see if there are any liquid multivitamins that you could perhaps take instead and sip on it during the day?

Work should be pressuring you, I’ve had friends who reduced their hours prior to going on maternity leave because they needed more rest. Others I know have worked full time until the final weekend. It’s different for everyone, listen to your body, if you are tired that means you need to rest. by law workplaces cannot discriminate and also must still provide you with the same job upon return from maternity leave.

yes it is recommended to to exercises for bladder control, i did pregnancy yoga, and then clinical Pilates afterwards, but you need to commit to times etc. there are basic exercises you can do. this web address is the best way to describe the right way of doing these exercises and you can do them anywhere yourself (it’s pretty much how my yoga instructor was telling us) http://showandtellonline.com.au/popular-stuff/kegels

Good luck, the best plan is no plan and just enjoy everything day by day

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Congratulations Elly!

How exciting!!

My bub is more than 4 months old. When I was pregnant I didn’t like the unsolicited advice! I’d say just go with what your gut tells you. If you don’t want to eat the multivitamin then don’t. If you don’t want to go back to work, chuck in a sickie (now that you are pregnant they can’t fire you). You just need to so what you and your body feel is right. And enjoy! It may seem very long but once it’s over it is over. I miss the sensation of movements inside the belly 🙂

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Congratulations! How exciting! I bet it`s very hardwork!

I am looking forward to the sensations! No sensations yet!

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

since you are asking, take any offer for help when you have the bub. don’t be shy about it.

nutrition wise, if the nausea is very bad you should talk to the obsterician for some tips. sometimes a piece of dry toast before you get out of bed is good enough to get you going throughout the day.

odd things like that
    and oh.. don’t get angry often or you’ll get a bad- tempered baby. For me it happened!!

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Plus they are coated which is important if you have morning sickness!

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Oh and this time I’m just taking one vitamin combination from Swisse, the pregnancy one. It seems to have adequate doses of all the things you need when pregnant – folate, iodine, iron and sole dha’s also 🙂

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

I agree with the others, don’t stress and enjoy the ride.

My advice is to listen intently to your body. You will be surprised at how good your body is at letting you know what you need during pregnancy. Listen to your cravings too, they are there for a reason 🙂

I’ve just found out I’m pregnant with baby number three very unexpectedly. We were not trying and now I’m feeling uneasy as I had a really big night (the first in 3 years) last week, have been using Retin A, and have just had my teeth professionally whitened!

I would have freaked out about all these things in my first pregnancy but realise now that it is done and no good stressing about it.

If you are inclined to like to be in control, get a few books to read so that you wil feel more comfortable with everything.

And just enjoy this beautiful time, growing a little one is truely a magically beautiful thing!

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Congratulations!!!!

A big night, you mean with alcohol??

I didn`t know I was pregnant when I had two glasses of bubbly…

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Yes with alcohol 🙂

It`s the first time I`ve gone out since my first born in 2013 and were talking like 10+ drink over the course of the night!

I would have been 3 weeks pregnant at the time.

I`ve just realised that I`ve been continually breastfeeding for 4 years so far and now have at least another 2 years to come!

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

I am sure it`s ok! Don`t worry about it! Just no more nights like that!

Do you breastfeed up to two years old?

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Congratulations Ellylove, and do stop stressing all will be well. I have had 2 kids now grown up and believe me I remember being bombarded by everyone’s advice . Do what
    you feel is right for you, everyone is different. I can also relate to morning sickness having had it both times, and the pelvic exercises really do help as much for your tummy muscles as well as your bladder so do them whenever you think about them.

My advice is Dont stress, don’t listen to everyone just do what you think feels right for you and most importantly ENJOY THIS WONDERFUL TIME. Before you know it you will be a Mum and all that that entails.

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Congratulations Ellyloves!

No advice from me, I’m childless. Try not to stress, humans have been having babies for hundreds of thousands of years.

• 6 yrs, 6 mths ago

Thank you!

You are right! Women have had children for thousands of years and they didn`t have vitamins and all of these additional advice.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.