2 yrs, 5 mths ago

Adjusting to life after Lockdowns!

We are nearly out of Alcatraz!

Does anyone else have anxiety about going out in public?

I’m double vaxxed and my anxiety is heightened.

What coping strategies do people use?

Thanks 🙏🏽

57 comments 15 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 2 mths ago

I agree with you there is a lot of anxiety and my daughter who lives in Auckland said she is still nervous with the volume of people and the noise after being in lockdown and being around strangers. One step at a time and be kind to yourself . Go for nice walks if you are feeling agitated and keep in touch with your friends and family .

• 2 yrs, 2 mths ago

Hi Lucy16,

I agree with RINNY. Do as much as you can .Book in for your Booster as soon as you are allowed. Maybe don’t listen to the numbers everyday. Social distance when you can.

I myself am getting a little more anxious hearing the numbers going up everyday but I know that I need to see my family and friends(maybe not as often) for my mental health. I do the best I can and hope that once I have had the Booster it will once again protect me from serious illness.

Good luck with it all.

• 2 yrs, 2 mths ago

I think it is best if you can just try not to think about it all too much. I have also noticed that once you have done something the second time around it is so much easier. Like using public transport. Good luck and enjoy if you can.

• 2 yrs, 2 mths ago

Hi Lucy16

Sorry that no one replied earlier. How’s the anxiety now? I was really anxious before I was vaccinated, then was happy to spend time at home during the Delta surge.

I’ve stopped going out again with the increase in case numbers. I still go to the beach and go for walks but I’m avoiding spending time with people unless I really have to.

I feel like we might all get Omicron with how infectious it is, so I’ve resigned myself to that fact but I’m taking all the precautions I can to not get it and I guess that is the best that I can do.

Maybe speak to your GP about your anxiety, they can put you in touch with a psychologist, give you a mental health plan or make some other suggestions for you.

Take care of yourself! xx

• 2 yrs, 2 mths ago

Hi Rinny,

Thanks for replying! I just saw your message then.

I had my booster on the 10th December and I have my young kids booked in for their first vaccinations on Friday.

I’ve also purchased a bulk pack of N95 masks.

I have a mental health plan but I do need to see my psychiatrist somewhat urgently!

Take care!

😘

• 2 yrs, 2 mths ago

Haha, sorry, just seen that you had plenty of replies but mine was the only one showing for this year.

Great to see you are not alone in your anxieties!!

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

“Does anyone else have anxiety about going out in public?”……

Yes! I’m doubled vaxed, and as soon as they give us the go ahead, I’m more than happy to go for a third booster.

I go to the local Plaza. Of course we have to wear masks. I don’t usually eat there. I will admit that when I get home I toss all my clothes in the wash.

I’m desperately wanting to go for a ride on a train into the city (Melbourne). There’s a few things I want to look at in the city, plus I’m a train fan and I’m desperately wanting to go for a ride on one of the new trains. But OMG would it be safe to do so? I just don’t know!

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

@Rose_P I am based in Melbourne. I frequently travel on one of the largest and longest train lines in this state and it is perfectly fine. There are not usually many people (in the mornings I have complete carriages to myself when pre-COVID it would be packed like sardines) and most people are very good at sitting apart at a distance. I have found it perfectly safe with my mask on at all times. I otherwise have general anxiety about other activities like dining in restaurants, which I am still uncomfortable with doing unless it is al fresco.

My office is in the CBD but I avoid the CBD on weekends, because of the deranged protestors. I have also gone shopping a few times with a mask on in shopping centres and it has been okay.

I am double vaxxed but my stepfather refuses to get vaxxed (he is lost in a severe misinformation rabbit hole). It is a decision that has completely divided our family and a lot of my anxiety stems from trying to still keep him safe and doing what I can to lessen inadvertent transmission with my actions.

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

Thanks for your reply Ethelinde. I am sooooooo desperate to go into the city. I am a train nut, and I particularly want to go for a ride on one of those new HCMT trains. Desperately! Your reply has made it much more attractive to me!

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

I know what you mean, @Rose_P – I’ve got the same concerns. I’ve only been going for walks & to my small local shopping centre. I walk there & catch the bus home if I get a lot of groceries, & throw my clothes in the wash when I get home, too.

Pre-COVID, I used to go all over Sydney, often just for a trip out. I used to go into the city at least once a week – sometimes, just for a cappuccino & a look around.

I’ve got a Click & Collect at Myer: I live 5km from the Sydney CBD, so I might walk there & bus back. It’ll be my first time back in the city. I plan to go in the middle of the day to avoid peak hour commuters.

I reckon Melbourne trains would be OK if you avoid peak hours. I feel apprehensive, too; but, I think it’s time we should start to venture out.

• 2 yrs, 2 mths ago

I have been using the trains and buses in Perth for quite awhile now, but I do admit that it is quite a different situation to Melbourne and Sydney. We have been lucky in Perth I gues..

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

I’m having the same anxieties as you Rose. The constant rallies worry me too!

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

YES but community covid is low at the moment so it should be ok. Of course you can still get covid with the vaccine but hopefully herd immunity will work. The non vaccinated are the ones that should be worried as they can get sickest and spread it.. Hope that eases you anxiety. I deal with covid everyday and its ok – I use to get anxiety but its ok – it is what it is. Just take it easy with your day to day life and slowly- everything will be ok in the end.

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

Community Covid……no it’s not low here in Melbourne. We are still getting 1200 plus cases per day, even though we have supposedly got 90% plus vax rate! I don’t think they are telling us the truth!

I am double vaccinated, so hopefully that means I’m better protected, but I can’t help but feel a bit worried about going out in public. I do go to the local shops, and I catch the bus home, but I desperately miss my train trips into the city.

Our biggest problem around here seems to be our schools at the moment. They are full of it. My brother is a primary school teacher. He has been sent home several times. He had a child in his class who tested positive, but thankfully didn’t spread it. My brother has spent most of the year teaching his class remotely from home. He reckons his students all know what his kitchen looks like!

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

Yay!!!!! left the central coast today and went for a swim up in the Lake Macquarie region! woot – felt great and not a worry because I am triple vaxxed. I visited the beach and did a 1km swim in the gorgeous pool on the waterway there. I had tears in my eyes (tears of relief) as I arrived there because it’s been such a long wait to get off the central coast.

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

Sounds lovely, Ccw! I can’t get triple vaxed until 16 December & I’m impatient!

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

That’s awesome M8 you have your date set for your 3rd! 😀

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

Yep, I’ll be making an appointment when it gets closer. I’m counting down!

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

Thanks M8! Yes it was a really healthy thing for me to do – not just physically – but mentally such a breath of fresh air! Now I wan to make all sorts of plans to go camping all over NSW! I know where all the good pools are! 😀

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

My sisters on the CC want to go camping, too. We’re all hanging out! It feels like forever since I’ve been camping.

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

haha yeh!

• 2 yrs, 4 mths ago

I am hoping to get my booster shot early in December. Just wish WA would open its borders to Victoria so that my daughter who lives in Bendigo can come over for a visit. Miss her so much.

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

My daughter went back to school today and it was so exciting and there was a ‘welcome back we missed you’ sign at the school gates in huge writing made up of A4 huge lettering and balloons all over the school fences!

• 2 yrs, 5 mths ago

My life was same throughout all this time (ok had more time for some fun stuff hehe). Just one difference: was planning to work overseas, but did not want to face issues coming back. I do love Australia and have hope it will get better leaders soon.
    Just yesterday was at the busy Sydney markets to get myself more fruit and veg, was sooo happy to see it was getting back to what it was, fuller and busier. Hope farmers recover from all this and after bushfires and floods….no one was there to help them. And we all in the cities depend of them! Our lives literally!
    Take care everyone and take it easy on yourself. It has been a rough ride in the world. Things can and will only get better. Love you all xx

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.