8 yrs, 1 mth ago

Korean makeup & skincare – my experiences and please share yours!

The list below is my personal experience with Korean brand makeup and beauty products. I’ve been converted for about 3 years when I picked some up overseas while in Asia and hooked ever since!

Please share your experiences and brands – I’ve only touched on a few! Some general notes I’ll start with:

Skincare – oil cleansers, solid oil balms, essences, ampoules, serums, confused? Read this helpful board on Reddit, it explains all the steps for Asian skincare and also some ingredients to look out for https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/comments/2jcss2/asian_skincare_101_a_beginners_guide_faq/

Looking for trusted online sellers? check out this list on Reddit of trusted sellers people are purchasing through. https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/comments/290to0/giant_list_of_websites_ebayers_etc/

also thanks to Preciousia this site also analyzes products and gives you a breakdown of ingredients: http://www.cosdna.com/

Asian Beauty Reddit is another board I stalk on a regular basis, it’s pretty helpful
https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/

edit to add I just tidied up the first post as I was getting tired scrolling past that long one lol

1,110 comments 123 voices

Replies

• 1 w, 1 day ago

Currently in my routine (I alternate between products)

Haruharu WONDER Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner
    Isntree Chestnut BHA 2% Clear Liquid
    Beauty of Joseon Revive Serum: Ginseng + Snail Mucin
    Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Ampoule 5X
    Cos de Baha Azelaic acid 10%
    Mizon Snail All In One Repair Cream
    COSRX Oil Free Ultra Moisturizing Lotion
    Cosrx Balancium Comfort Ceramide Cream
    Benton Air Fit UV Defense Sun Cream SPF 50 PA++++
    Logically, Skin Hydro Multi-Shield Sun Essence SPF30 PA++++
    Numbuzin No.3 Porcelain Base Skip Tone Up Beige SPF 50+/PA++++

• 1 w ago

@Jupiter I await your review on the Porcelain Base. Sounds interesting.

• 6 days, 20 hrs ago

@Perthchick, I was so excited to try the numbuzin porcelain sunscreen since it’s one of the few korean tinted sunscreens that lean warm rather than pink. It has a lovely application experience, but sadly, it makes me look too pale. I am about #23 in Korean BB creams and foundations (MAC shade NC17). I’d say only suitable for those who are #21 or lighter in korean shades 🙁

• 2 mths, 2 wks ago

yes highly recommend this hair serum too!

• 2 mths, 2 wks ago

These are the k-beauty products that are part of my routine at the moment. I don’t use all of them at the same time.

Skin1004 Madagascar Centella Ampoule Foam
    Isntree Chestnut BHA 2% Clear Liquid
    Beauty of Joseon Revive Serum: Ginseng + Snail Mucin
    ma:nyo Bifida Biome Complex Ampoule
    Cos de Baha Azelaic acid 10%
    Isntree Aloe Soothing Moist Gel
    Mizon Snail All In One Repair Cream
    COSRX The Retinol 0.1 Cream (alternating with Adapalene)
    Beauty of Joseon Relief Sun SPF50+ PA++++
    Skin1004 Hyalu-Cica Sleeping Pack

• 2 mths ago

ma:nyo Bifida Biome Complex Ampoule What is your impression of this serum? I’ve been wanting to try it for a long time, but I’ve seen conflicting reviews

• 1 mth, 4 wks ago

@Natabarkan, my reply to you was blocked. Trying again – it’s a very good serum for strengthening the skin barrier and it’s nicely h-y-d-r-a-t-i-n-g. It’s a staple for me and have repurchased many times – great for managing any irritation from strong retinoids.

• 7 mths, 4 wks ago

I’m currently using the Lululun Hydra V masks and loving them.

• 8 mths ago

Slightly off-topic but has anyone tried korean haircare? , and have any brands/products to recommend for dry hair.

• 7 mths, 4 wks ago

Yes I have tried a couple of things! A standout for me is the Mise En Scene Perfect Repair Serum. It’s a hair oil, has a thick texture out of the pump but isn’t greasy. I have coarse dry hair so I use the rich version, but the normal version should suit most people. It also smells amazing without being overpowering.

• 8 mths ago

Yes. I use a lot of products from the brand Lador. I recommend Lador Perfect Hair Fill Up Ampoules and Lador Wonder Hair Oil (use this sparingly though).

• 8 mths ago

@Lisa359 – tried to reply but my comment failed to post again, I’m loving Mise En Scene Perfect Serum – lots of reviews online that you can check out.

• 8 mths ago

It’s been a while since my last update, current Korean items in my skincare routine:

* COSRX low pH cleanser for AM – gentle and refreshing (slight tea tree scent)
    * The Vegan Glow Mild Foam Cleanser for PM 2nd cleanse – gentle and foams well
    * KLAIRS Supple Preparation Unscented Toner (HA, centella, Vit E, amino acids, SAP, Copper Tripeptide)- love this, it’s very hydrating and soothing
    * Isntree TW-Real Eye Cream (61% bifida ferment lysate, niacinamide, peptides) – lovely texture that’s not too heavy and not too light, doesn’t cause any milia. Bifida ferment lysate is a probiotic ingredient that helps skin repair itself. It’s one of the main ingredients in Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair. This eye cream is hydrating and doesn’t interfere with undereye concealer application. Suitable for sensitive skin too. It’s also 30ml which is huge for an eye cream.

• 8 mths, 1 w ago

Update…

Products Im currently trialing.
    Well using.
    Thnks for bumping up this forum

Mizon Peptide Ampoule Cream 50ml,
    Milky Piggy Collagen Coating Protein Ion Injection 50ml,
    Mary and May Niacinamide + Chaenomeles Sinensis Serum 30ml,
    Mary and May 6 Peptide Complex Serum 30ml,
    Mizon Peptide 500 30ml,
    Mizon All In One Snail Repair Cream Tube 35ml,
    Bonajour Green Tea Water Cream 100ml,
    Ti’am Vita B3 Mist Toner 200ml,
    Langeine Deep Blue Oil Mist 100ml
    Cosrx Vitamin C

• 8 mths, 1 w ago

Elizavecca Milky Piggy Collagen Coating Protein Ion Injection is great! I keep multiple tubes of this stuff.

I go back to the Mizon All In One Snail Repair Cream too and also have the tube.

• 8 mths, 1 w ago

My long comment failed to post – it had products and short summary of my thoughts on them. I’ll just try posting the product names now. If anyone has any questions about them, feel free to ask.

* COSRX low pH cleanser
    * The Vegan Glow Mild Foam Cleanser
    * KLAIRS Supple Preparation Unscented Toner
    * Isntree TW-Real Eye Cream
    * Manyo Bifida Biome Complex Ampoule

• 10 mths, 3 wks ago

thank you girls for this topic, because I always worry about using Korean cosmetics so that I don’t get covered in pimples

• 1 yr ago

I recently started on the popular HaruHaru WONDER Black Rice Hyaluronic Toner. It’s very hydrating, but has quite a heavy scent from the lavender oil. It didn’t irritate my skin but I personally find the scent quite overwhelming. I should’ve purchased the fragrance-free version.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.