5 yrs, 9 mths ago

Good decisions thread 2018!

Hi everyone!

Not sure if anyone’s up for this, I was just thinking it’d be nice to have a “good decisions” thread where we share and celebrate good changes we’ve made this year to make it a little bit or a lot better than last year – and encourage each other and learn from each other. This would be mostly health & wellbeing related.

Examples:
– Having consistently worked out several times a week for a while now.
– Getting into a better routine for good quality sleep!
– Quitting smoking.
– Changing how or what you eat.
– Becoming more consistent with certain beauty treatments or products.

For me my most recent good decision of the year has been switching from regular coffee to decaf coffee! It’s improved my quality of sleep, how rested and calm I feel, and it’s stopped heart palpitations I’d been getting recently. Definitely recommend switching to decaf! I was a hardcore coffee addict because I’ve been a shift worker for a long time now… and it honestly has made me more rested, not more tired!

23 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 5 yrs, 8 mths ago

Just a quick update to those who are still visiting this thread, I have fasted from drinking coffee for the past 15days already. It was a crazy struggle, but the results are pretty much visible. Nowadays I get to wake up way before even my alarm clock rings. I seldom struggle to fall asleep as bad then it always took me a good 10 to 15mins or even 30mins at times for me to finally doze off. I guess the reason being it was due to the caffeine that is still active and causing me to be awake. But as of now, the quality of my sleep seems to be improving. will I go back to coffee? I guess yes. but I will cut down to perhaps drinking it only once or twice a week!

For those who are still pressing on to see changes for the good, hang in there!

• 5 yrs, 8 mths ago

Fantastic news Alexendra! Congrats on your coffee hiatus being successful!

I started out with a month with zero coffee… which greatly improved my overall calmness and sleep. I did end up going back to coffee, just less. Because I`m a shiftworker I do have one regular coffee a day; to remind my body when the day starts, basically, since it`s constantly at different times. But after that, it`s all decaf!

• 5 yrs, 8 mths ago

Awesome! But did the decaf helps u in any way? because it`s meant to keep you awake or start your day right to begin with yea?

Guess what`s next for me? I am basically gonna start eating healthy too. I love chips. potato chips. and frankly speaking, I can survive just on chips without a proper meal. Give me a pack of chips and I go without meat or staple food for the day. lol.

Hence… I guess I am gonna start cutting down on this unhealthy junk foods. eating in moderation is acceptable I guess. but to me, chips is like other people`s doughnut where u can`t stop with just 1. hahaha.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

One of the most significant changes I’ve seen for this year was that amount of rest I set for myself has improved. Back then I used to sleep like only 5hours a day. But now, I always try to make it a point to start sleeping by 12 or 12.30 latest and wakes up by 7ish the next day. 7 hours of uninterrupted rest will surely start your day right.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I see lots of small but significant diet changes here 🙂 that has worked for me wonderfully as well! Changing my diet completely always made me fall off the wagon. Taking small steps in the right direction makes it easier to tackle and maintain plus you feel good about yourself for being able to achieve it so you end up wanting to get even healthier!

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I start to eat less rice and carb to have my weight and sugar level control for more than a year. It really helps. My weight and sugar level have gone down.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I gave up soft drinks for a month and my body must have adjusted so now I hardly drink them. The hardest part is always that initial detox stage but luckily it becomes easier later on to go without. I should really try it out with junk food next…

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I’m more aware of what I eat eg: less deep fried foods , more green vegies etc and using more natural products to improve my dry skin.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I have stopped eating ‘bad’ sugary bits and bobs during the weekdays. Just having them on the weekends makes me treat them as what they are – treats! 🙂

I have also been doing yoga twice a week since jan/feb.

My next goal is to go to bed earlier each night! 🙂

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

Proper bedtime was one I tackled a while ago. Having that routine has meant I don`t feel tired often. Looking at having kids in the near future and the thought of losing it is a bit scary now though.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I have changed by high calories diet and that is a ‘good decisions’ for me. Now, I don’t eat fries and junk foods art all. I have also increased the quantity of mouth watering smoothies that induce weight loss.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I’ve been trying to slowly dial down the soft drinks, but boy is it hard for me! Especially while smoking, nothing tastes better than a sugary soft drink! Two vices in one… should really cut out both.

I think we all have times when we make big resolutions for the year (whether it’s New Year’s, our birthdays or special events) and then don’t follow through and end up feeling demotivated and discounting all the good changes we DID make quietly without much spectacle. So here we can celebrate those and pick up tips from each other, too!

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

That sweet occasional can of coke after not having it for so long is better than sex lol.

It definitely hasn`t been easy. Lol. I was (potentially still am) quite the addict

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I don`t know what it is but the fizz and sugar combination… I can`t quite mimic it with anything else! I tried sodawater with fruit – nope, LOL. That did none of it.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

I cut out soft drinks (except for the occasional special occasion) I do feel a lot better and lost a little bit of weight quite easily as a result. I replaced it with home made ice tea for a lot less of a sugar content.

I find little swaps mean cutting something out isn’t so hard.

• 5 yrs, 9 mths ago

That`s awesome Nicoler! I don`t drink soft drink either !
      Also I stopped drinking beer and swapped it to gin and tonic hahah !

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.