7 yrs, 2 mths ago

RIP John Hurt (22 January 1940 – 27 January 2017)

I’ve just learnt that British actor John Hurt has passed away at 77. He had pancreatic cancer, but was reported to be in remission. I think the date is today, because UK is a day behind us.

As a nerd, he was a favourite of mine. How sad.

RIP.

13 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

Saddened to hear of his passing. RIP John

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

That’s sad news. RIP John Hurt.

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

I only just realised that Olivander from the Harry Potter series and The War Doctor from Dr Who were played by the same guy.

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

Very versatile actor. RIP, sad news.

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

He was a dear favourite of mine as well. So sad to hear this news. Loved him in the Elephant Man. Loved him in ‘The Proposition’. And in ‘1984’ (one of my favourite books too). As well as many others. Such a talented actor.

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

1984 is one of the best books ever written. I recommended it to a friend a few months ago & he said it blew his mind. It`s a fairly short book: if anyone hasn`t read it, I HIGHLY recommend it!

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

misfortune8, are you a fan of Brave New World? I love both novels but 1984 is my favourite.

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

It`s funny that you should mention “”Brave New World”” because I always recommend them together. I coincidentally read them consecutively in my teens & the contrast was striking! I agree, “”1984″” is the better book, but I`d prefer the promiscuity of “”BNW”” to the celibacy except when procreating of “”1984″”.

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

Ha ha yes, me too! I`ve just reread `A Handmaid`s Tale` which is another dystopian favourite of mine. Something about the current world situation has me reaching for dystopian literature!

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

I like dystopian books. I found “”The Handmaid`s Tale”” scary because I`m childbirth phobic. Have you read Cormac McCarthy`s “”The Road””? A few things didn`t sit right for me when I read this (I don`t want to give a spoiler).

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

Yes, I`ve read `The Road`… definitely some disturbing moments in that one!! `The Handmaid`s Tale` would absolutely freak out someone who was childbirth phobic hehe!

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

I love recommending this book to people :). So good! So prophetic! And unfortunately, so relevant…

• 7 yrs, 2 mths ago

He even played the Doctor.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.