5 yrs, 4 mths ago

What’s been your highlight of 2018

Hi all,

I love the end of the year and I always get a little reflective at this time of year, thinking about the year that was and what I hope the next year will be.

So I wanted to ask

What was your highlight of 2018 and what are you looking forward to in 2019?

Or if 2018 was a shocker for you, why are you glad to see the back of it?

25 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 5 yrs, 3 mths ago

Travel with my husband to Tahiti and French Polynesia in May this year, had a footy weekend in Melbourne and caught up with some good friends.
    My husband and I are travelling to Colombia and the Caribbean in February next year for 8 weeks so looking forward to that.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

2018 hasn’t been that super for me however the biggest achievement in recent times is being offered professional placement relating to my masters degree.

I start in the next month.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Our son gaining his Masters in Business Administration and all of us being there to see him graduate. He is married with two gorgeous girls and has completed his Masters while working and parenting. His wife is wonderful and supports him in everything. So blessed with my family!!

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

That`s a wonderful highlight to have for 2018. It sounds like you have a lovely family.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Our Daughter-in-law is wonderful, Lisa, and loves us being as involved with them as we are. We`re super lucky.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Wow that`s beautiful, congratulations to your son!

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

The highlight of my year was seeing my son graduate from year 12, winning a medal for getting highest in one of classes and co-winning another certificate of honours from the law society of W.A for getting top of his politics and law class.

Next year I’m not looking forward to my daughter starting year 11, like her brother she wants to take ATAR classes and while I think she is bright enough I don’t think she has the discipline to study for a couple of hours a day. I see a lot of arguments and tantrums coming next year, and we’ve told her we’re going take her out if she doesn’t perform well after week 6. Sigh…….

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Congratulations to your son on his achievements.

I can relate to your daughter. That was me in highschool, smarts but lacked the drive and discipline. Hearing what you say reminds me of where my parents where 13 year ago and yes there was definitely some tantrums (all on my behalf)

And congratulations mum, getting kids through high school and the hsc is no easy feat!

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Congratulations to your son, Lisa. What a wonderful achievement. You can be very proud of his successes.

You could be surprised with your daughter next year – there`s a good chance she feels as though she can`t live up to her brother`s efforts so doesn`t try in case she fails. Is it practical to offer an incentive (OK, bribe!) which is meaningful to her and will help her organise her work knowing there`s something she really wants at the end of it? Please don`t think I`m trying to interfere as I`m not, but having gone through that period it may help. Good luck!!!

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

We really don`t want her to do these subjects Trish – she wants to. Based on her last report card it doesn`t look like she would do well. The school agrees. But shes arguing for it, partly I think some of it is to look cool, partly to copy her brother, teenage stuff……

I would rather she does well in general classes than fail ATAR.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

I feel for you, Lisa. Teenagers are hard work!!!! Rarely do they accept that their parents know what they are talking about. Thank you for taking my comment in the spirit it was given. It does improve – I`ve been there.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

I love this topic!!
    My highlight was marrying the love of my life ❤️
    Next year I’m looking forward to travelling and living overseas for a while!!

What about you Nicoler112?

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Oh wow, those are some exciting times.

My highlight of this year was travelling to Japan with my other half. Together three years but first overseas trip together. It was really special.

Looking forward to in 2019, going to Singapore for my 30th birthday, my 30th country on my 30th birthday.

Haha bit of a travel theme.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I love Singapore! I`ve been there twice & have enjoyed myself each time. I think I probably enjoyed it more last time. I didn`t shop while I was there that time (it was the first stop on my trip & I had luggage restrictions ahead), but I went & did other things instead. Loved Gardens by the Bay, that was pretty awesome.

If you want some travel tips, just ask & I`ll happily share!

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

I agree, Seashells, that Singapore is an amazing place. I`ve been there about six times but only for 3 day stopovers each time on my way to Europe. Singapore is so easy to get around, and is spotlessly clean.

The night zoo is a great attraction and allows for close proximity to the animals. Gardens by the Bay is beautiful and the Marina Sands viewing deck is awesome. There`s always lots to do in Singapore.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Yeh I wouldn`t mind going to the night zoo. It`s only my list.

• 5 yrs, 3 mths ago

We went years ago and when we were near the tiger enclosure the keeper happened to be there and he called the tiger over!

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Nicoler, the Orchid Garden is glorious (if you like orchids!!) They had the most wonderful gift shop with beautiful, unique gifts at a great price. Unfortunately I`m talking about several years ago so I have no idea what it is like now but it was wonderful.

• 5 yrs, 3 mths ago

I went 2 years ago, the Orchid/Flower Garden was beautiful. I liked the rainforest attraction as well (I can`t remember its proper name off the top of my head). You do have to pay for both, but they`re well worth it.

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

Yes please Seashells! I`m so excited to hear what you loved about it.

Everyone I have mentioned it to has not really been optimistic. Even the travel agent we bought flights through was super negative basically saying the attractions were underwhelming (someone definitely suited for customer service 😉 )

What were your highlights/recommendations

• 5 yrs, 4 mths ago

I went to Japan 2 years ago and loved it! It’s such an amazing place!!
        It certainly will be the year of 30, I hope you have a wonderful year x

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.