4 yrs, 5 mths ago

Melbourne Cup 2019 – what are you doing?

Anyone doing anything for Melbourne Cup day tomorrow, going to the races or out for lunch? Unfortunately I’m just going to work, we have all put in some money and are having a lunch at work, most people will probably watch the race on tv. I might put a nice dress on and wear a fascinator. A chance to dress up at least even if I’m at work. A lot of people take the day off and go out for lunch.

I probably won’t be going in any sweeps at work. It was really distressing to see the footage on the ABC a few weeks ago about the slaughter of horses and animal cruelty in the racing industry.

12 comments 32 voices

Replies

• 2 yrs, 11 mths ago

Merretta is a serial spammer. Maybe they`ve commented to try to look like a genuine member. Their comment doesn`t make sense as this thread is about an event that was in 2019.

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

I don’t celebrate this “holiday” and haven’t for many years because of the cruelty to the horses… not for me, but the day off is always nice… Just a shame it comes at a cost…

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

I work every Melbourne Cup as I am in the industry so its a “mandatory day” for me but not into it at all – don’t see the big hype myself.

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

I avoid animal abuse as much as i can. These kind of things ( parading in stupid looking head gear and nice dresses) do not interest me slightest. Such a cruel world we live in.

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

I was out doing some early Christmas shopping so unfortunately missed the race.
    I haven’t bet for a couple of years, since my favourite horse (who never failed to come second!) passed away.:(
    But congrats to anyone who did win some money this year!

That ABC footage was just truly terrible. I’m of two minds…The Cup isn’t solely to blame… just because people like to dress up and place bets on the race it doesn’t mean they support this inhumane treatment. The people selling their horses to abattoirs etc should be the ones who are punished.
    It’s about time they address this. Surely a law can be put in place making the slaughter of horses illegal?

I don’t know, those are my jumbled thoughts on the subject.

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

The ABC footage was absaloutely heartbreaking, very sickening and traumatising to see.
      I have never betted on the melbourne cup and don`t do anything in regards to it.
      I agree with you lawliet, they should have some sort of law in place preventing this from happening. Just because horses cannot race any more or `did not win enough` does not mean they need to die =(

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

So true! It`s almost like their greed overrides their humanity.
        Surely there are plenty of people that would love to take the horses in and care for them.

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

i totally forgot it was today and didnt dress up at all 🙁 just my usual black/white work ‘uniform’. My work just puts the race in the boardroom on TV.. then back to work lol

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

I’ll be at work as well and we’ll be having some nibbles and drinks. Looking forward to it ☺️

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

My Husband and I are going out for lunch decided that I would wear a sparkly black hair band and go in black and white outfit.

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

Enjoy your lunch, am still trying to figure out what to wear to work, have a nice black dress and a fascinator which will go with it so might just wear that.

• 4 yrs, 5 mths ago

Hayley644 Black dress is always a good choice it looks smart and can be made classy by adding a fascinator and a scarf.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.