You’ve heard the horror stories – fake-tan hands, streaky limbs and Oompa Loompa parodies – but now, beautyheaven has spoken to the tanning experts at St Tropez to get 10 top tips for tanning…
1. Exfoliate regularly.
2. If you’re waxing or shaving before tanning, make sure you do so more than 24 hours before.
3. Apply plenty of moisturiser the night before. It’s especially important to remember the wrists, hands, elbows, knees, ankles and feet.
4. Avoid tanning palms – use latex gloves when applying or use St Tropez Tan Remover to get rid of any unwanted tan.
5. Make sure you’ve covered all over. Don’t worry if you go over the same area twice – the tan will only be patchy if you miss a bit, not double up.
6. Don’t rub. Gentle smoothing is all you need when applying self-tan – rubbing may leave you with an uneven finish.
7. Avoid washing your hands for as long as you can in the two hours directly after application. Instead, try Dettol Instant Hand Sanitizer Chamomile.
8. Your tan doesn’t get deeper the longer you leave it on after the required amount of time. So if you’re after a deeper tan, you should re-apply on successive days.
9. After applying your tan, wear loose, dark clothing. Tight-fitting underwear is a definite no no.
10. The hands and face will fade quicker than the rest of the body so top up with St Tropez Rapide Face and St Tropez Tan Intensifier every two days. (Remember to polish and moisturise too or your colour will fade unevenly.)