Your best tan on a budget
Whether you’re a seasoned tanner and need to scale back your spending, or want to give self-tanning a try without dipping too deeply into the ‘ol bank account, you’ll be pleased to know it is possible to flaunt a #flawless fake tan on a budget.
From the perfect prep products to post-bronzing care, these under $20 buys will give you the glow you’ve always wanted, with money leftover for ice cream. Because nobody should have to give up ice cream.
#1 Prep products
- Schick Intuition Pure Nourishment, $12.69
- Nair Easiwax Wax Strips, $9.19
- SunFX Exfoliating Glove, $4.00
- Natura Siberica OBLEPIKHA SIBERICA BODY SCRUB, $19.99
To ensure a non-streaky tan, you need to first remove hair and exfoliate. If you have sensitive skin, complete these steps the day before applying tan to avoid irritation. When it comes to exfoliating, focus on the driest areas of your body, like the elbows and knees.
#2 Application ammo
- Scunci Active Luxe Basic Headwrap, $9.95
- Billie Goat Soap All Over Body Moisturiser, $12.50
- Sunescape Self-Tan Applicator Mitt, $9.90
Before you go anywhere near a tanning product, make sure every single strand of hair is up and out of the way, and that you’ve applied a moisture barrier to your elbows and knees (to stop the tan from catching). Then, have a mitt ready for smooth application - with no mess on your hands!
#3 Budget-friendly (and colour-friendly) tan
- Reef Beach Glow Foaming Mousse, $13.99
- Le Tan Original Tanning Cream, $12.99
- Rimmel London Sun Shimmer Self Tan Mousse, $16.95
- Natio Self Tan Mousse, $17.95
Apply your tan section by section (arms, chest, legs, and so on) using circular motions with your mitt. Save the excess product on your mitt for the back of your hands, in between your fingers and feet.
#4 Keep your glow going
- SunFX Body Lotion Tan Extender - $19.95
- ModelCo Gradual Tan Lotion -$16.00
- Bondi Sands Gradual Tanning Milk Everyday - $17.95
To maintain your tan, apply a tan extender or gradual tanning moisturiser every few days (depending on the product), This will also ensure your skin stays soft and smooth and prevent peeling or patchiness.
No time to tan? Keep these handy for a last-minute transformation:
- Creightons BeBronzed Instant Tan Matte Wash Off, $12.99
- JERGENS Natural Glow Instant Sun Sunless Tanning Mousse, $15.99
- pureTAN's Instant Wash Off Bronzer, $19.95
- St.Tropez Instant Tan Wash Off Face & Body Lotion, $19.95
You’ll be able to head out with sunkissed legs, but then come home to shower and wash the tan off - no staining the sheets!
bh handy hint: If you can’t be bothered showering, you can just as easily wipe it off with something like Wet Ones ® Be Fresh Original Medium Pack ($3.49).
What’s your best tanning tip? Have you tried any of the products above?
Have you tried any of the products mentioned above?
Review them now to earn points that you can swap for free beauty products in RewardsRoom.