How to apply liquid illuminator
Why do some women always seem to look so radiant, even with very little make-up? Easy. They’re using the right products. You don’t need a plethora of beauty tricks and tools to brighten up your tired face, all you need is a little liquid illuminator magic…and maybe some lip gloss!
Here’s how to work liquid illuminator and get your glow on…
Choosing a liquid illuminator
For a light, ever so subtle sheen and glow, you really can’t go past the cult liquid illuminator NARS Illuminator in Orgasm ($47, mecca.com.au) or for a more fresh and dewy look, Benefit’s Girl Meets Pearl is a real hit (and Glosscar winner too!) – it’s also super-easy to use because it comes in a nifty applicator tube that lets you twist to receive just the right amount of liquid. We love it when beauty and gadgets come together!
When it comes to which shade of illuminator you should be using, make-up artist Tobi Henney says "Bronze and gold highlighters look fantastic on tanned, olive skin types, whereas I would do a pretty soft pink highlighter for those with fairer skin."
5 other illuminators we love:
- e.l.f. Cosmetics Essentials Shimmering Facial Whip
- NYX Cosmetics Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator
- Models Prefer Instant Glow Face and Body Highlighter
- INIKA Light Reflect Highlighting Crème
- Benefit Cosmetics Sun Beam
When to apply
For a noticeable glow, it’s ideal to apply liquid illuminator over the top of your foundation, however some women prefer to use it underneath for a much more subtle look. Make-up artist, Rae Morris says, “If you’ve got quite good or unlined skin, use a luminising primer all over to give you that glow straight away. If you don’t have the most amazing skin, then an illuminating primer will enhance lines and blemishes, so it’s best to use the foundation that you love and highlight certain areas [afterwards]."
- To apply a liquid illuminator, simply transfer a small amount of the liquid to your fingertip and crack a smile, to find your cheek-line.
- Now gently dab the illuminator along the top of your cheekbone.
- To freshen up your glow you can add a little extra on the top of the apples of your cheeks, just under your eyes. Swiping a very small amount down the bridge of your nose will also help to slim and define your face.
- Finally, use a clean finger to gently blend the illuminator into your skin so that it just leaves behind a faint sheen and voila!
Do you like wearing liquid illuminator? What's your best tip for glowing skin?