Contouring and Highlighting- What products are best? RSS

Jan 31, 2011 10:29am

Diishere

I’ve been experimenting alot lately with contouring and highlighting my face but nothing looks reallyl natural.

What products would you reccommend? I don’t like reallly shimmery products for highlighting because I find they make my face look shiny.

I’ve tried bronzers for contouring but didn’t like the way it blends.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2011 10:43am

Madamebfatale

You can always contour and highlight with a darker and lighter foundation. You can buy small foundation palettes from graftobian that have 5 shades. Other than that sometimes I use a MAC MSF Natural in a darker shade to contour.HTH

Jan 31, 2011 10:57am

Diishere

Thank you, I have tried this, but I don’t know why I find the blending it out bit really difficult.

Any additional tips?

Jan 31, 2011 11:01am
Florist

Roxymisha

I have found some very useful videos on Youtube which show how to contour and highlight. Suggest you watch a few to get some tips. x

2757 posts
Jan 31, 2011 11:15am
Dsc_0003

muraljewel

I use High Beam by Benefit for highlighting and Nars for Contouring. Here a great video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0oBQAj1hAk

658 posts
Jan 31, 2011 11:29am
Prettycow

Hooha

Hi Diishere, Stila has a nice contouring palette with a built in mirror and lights. As they are powders they are easy to blend and really subtle. Alternatively, different foundation shades works well as long as they are blended well, or you can use bronzer and bliush as well. I would try the powders first as they are easier. :-)

3042 posts
Jan 31, 2011 2:13pm
Istockphoto_10539365-romantic-girl

Chrissynick

I have to agree. Using a darker and lighter foundation works a treat and gives a really nice natural look. What do you use to apply it Diishere? That could make all the difference. Maybe try a stipling brush? Or use a kabuki to buff out the edges and blend after? Just an idea :)

3684 posts
Jan 31, 2011 4:38pm

Diishere

I do use a stippling brush, and a kabuki to buff out the edges, but still no good. Maybe the different shades of foundation are too different???

Jan 31, 2011 5:10pm
Tumblr_ll7hgtwyfw1qdbbywo1_500

Hk_Candy

I love my NARS laguna bronzer! I have very patchy skin around my cheeks and sometimes using a bronzer makes the patches really obvious but not my bronzer from nars! I use my SIGMA SS109 brush as its perfect for contouring the hollows of my cheeks! On cold wintery days I do love using matte pink / plum blushes as appose to a bronzer for contouring! it gives your face that gorgeous cold sting glow !:)

Hope you find your perfect bronzer <3

908 posts
Jan 31, 2011 5:18pm

Hope you find your perfect bronzer <3

Jan 31, 2011 5:22pm
Solitaire

Jannz

I haven’t found anything ideal for contouring, as nothing I’ve tried quite suits me. Bronzer is generally too orange, but if you have darker skin it works pretty well. Have you tried sculpting powders?

As far as highlighting goes I know a lot of people really like High Beam, but I can’t get it to work for me. I always look patchy, and like I have an unnatural silvery sheen to my face, even though it shouldn’t be that much of a contrast as I am rather pale. I really like MAC cream colour bases, and I wouldn’t say they are particularly shimmery but they obviously have a sheen to them. I find they work best for dewy looks. MAC also have some powders that highlight quite well.

528 posts
Jan 31, 2011 5:23pm

Member since 2008

I use small amounts of my face foundation colour to contour my cleavage before applying the paler foundation that I use on my neck and decolette.

I use pressed powder for both contouring and highlighting, and apply using blush brushes. Once I’ve done all of the contouring and highlighting plus blush, I dust my entire face over with a powder that matches the face foundation, and my neck and decolette with a powder that matches that foundation. By going over the whole lot, I don’t have to spend as much time blending. :)

Jan 31, 2011 5:32pm

Diishere

I also get that unnatural silvery sheen when highlighting too, and as for bronzers I too find them orangish or too shimmery. I think I might try the pressed powders in different colours like AliceJaneInN… suggested, but won’t dusting over the top in the end with a powder that matches your foundation cover up all the hard work you’d just completed?

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Jan 31, 2011 5:48pm

Member since 2008

If you get the application of the contouring and highlighting a little bit too strong to look right on their own, then use the base colour over them, you tone them down and it comes out okay while helping to blend the edges much better. Likewise for blush.

It might not be the best technique out there, but it’s fairly quick and it’s worked okay for me for years. :)

Jan 31, 2011 10:51pm

Diishere

thank you, I’ll give it a go.

Feb 1, 2011 9:03am

Madamebfatale

When I do it with foundation I put ‘stripes’ on the contour areas, blend out. Then my regular foundation and lastly the highlight areas. If you finish with translucent powder it should stay very well.

Oh and sometimes i do contour – highlight then my regular foundation.

If your having trouble blending them out maybe your either using to much product or are you applying a base/primer or moisturiser before you start?

Feb 1, 2011 8:07pm

Diishere

Oh and sometimes i do contour – highlight then my regular foundation.

Yes, I am using a moistureiser and primer before, so I’ve gotta skip them huh?

Thnanks for your great advice, I’ll give it a go.

Feb 1, 2011 8:18pm
Images

Poppyloo

Member since 2008

The only tip I could give you is if youre using powder, make sure your cheeks are completely matte before you apply any colour, as I’ve found that if I don’t and my skin is still oily/tacky from foundation, the colour grabs unevenly to my skin and is so hard to blend out.

377 posts
Feb 1, 2011 9:41pm

Member since 2008

I always use a moisturiser and a primer. They help make the foundation more even. I’d be more concerned about over applying foundation.

Feb 1, 2011 10:19pm

Madamebfatale

sorry I meant to say make sure you were!

Feb 2, 2011 3:24am
Sprintime_eyes_30kb

degrees

For a matte highlighter, try YSL’s Touche Éclat.

I know you said you don’t like shimmer, but Smashbox’s liquid highligher, “Artificial Light”, leaves more of a dewy sheen rather than anything overly dramatic. Use it very sparingly and over a liquid foundation that has yet to set so it can be blended in as much as possible.

5 posts